Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Installed a cold air intake and my check engine light came…

Customer Question
Installed a cold air...

Installed a cold air intake and my check engine light came on after 90 miles. 2010 honda pilot. What can I do to hack the system to make the light stay off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Just stays on. Reset it twice

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far and yes I'm doing it myself. I've seen where I can put a resistor and diode on the 2nd bank o2 sencer

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Honda
5/29/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

I am reviewing your question and gathering information. Please stay online, I will be back momentarily.

Thank you, ***** ***** Honda-Man

I used the same part.

OK, I have dealt with this several times in the past. The part is the mass air flow sensor and intake air temp sensor. In all cases I have seen it was a poorly designed intake. The air flow needs to be correct or by the original sensor design. It might be worth looking inside the MAF opening for dirt or debris. It's a very sensitive sensor just a little dirt on the sensor will turn on the light.

I am sorry but most likely you will need to use the original intake system. If it runs OK you could leave it in there? Install the origonal if needed for emission testing(if you have it).

Please reply if you need more help so we can continue this conversation. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate before exiting the site. Rating does not close out your question or cost extra.

Thank you!
~Honda-Man Factory trained and ASE certified Honda-BMW tech 30+ years experience.

Another piece of advice. If the cold air intake is located outside the fender well it can suck up water. I have seen many cases of ruined engines from ingesting water. If it takes air from inside the engine compartment it's not truly a cold air intake. The original has baffles to prevent engine damage and takes in air from outside the engine compartment where the coolest air is anyway. The claim of the aftermarket intake is false in most cases. Factory intake systems are carefully designed and the most efficient.

Thanks again, please kindly remember to rate.

Cliff