Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2000 Honda civic rack and pinion replacement. Have it

Customer Question
2000 Honda civic rack...

2000 Honda civic rack and pinion replacement. Have it unbolted and slid to the right side. Will not come out, The shaft at the top still likes a inch to clear. Moved every way possible, Do I have to unbolt left side A frame?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, Did you read my message?

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Honda
5/28/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 25 days ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned you will receive a system automated call request, that is not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Also I am not paid hourly by just answers, I am only paid when you rate me, so if you could please respect my time and knowledge by rating me when we are finished that would be wonderful. If you could please indicate your level of experience and what you are looking to get out of your session today. Ok lets get started!

You have to take off the stiffener plate on the bottom and may need to loosen the main frame to get it out, below is the removal procedure

https://www.dropbox.com/s/37vwyzcbl3idv7w/mon3.docx?dl=0

were you able to see that ok?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have done several different jobs on cars, this one has turned out to be pain in the A**. I have every thing loose already, and like the article I read on civic forum. It won't move down low enough to clear. The steering shaft hits the housing and then left side shaft will not bend upward to drop down.

have you loosened and lowered the main subframe ?

Mechanic for Honda: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 20 days ago

hello?

Mechanic for Honda: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 15 days ago

hows it going?