Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Honda Accord LX 2004 crank but won't start. Changed

Honda Accord LX 2004 crank...
Honda Accord LX 2004 crank but won't start. Changed crankshaft position sensor and it started 3 times but it won't run for more than 20 seconds.
Now checking the ignition switch and found the black/red wire on the switch has voltage with the switch in the start position but when I start cranking the motor there is no voltage anymore. Is that normal, I'm supposed to loose voltage on that wire when cranking?
5/28/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 4 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

The black/red wire is power on input. You should have power at all times with the key on and engine running on this wire. If you are losing voltage on this wire this is due to a faulty electronic ignition switch with it needing to be replaced. Below in the link is a layout of the connector for your switch and what each wire does.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mxap92vgum48fo/is-05-28.png?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Do you have the wiring diagrams for the Ignition switch? I have voltage on the black red, black yellow and white red when the key switch is on the 2nd position or accessories.

Here is the diagram info I have located on this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpg6uh0gu4meggs/ignsw-05-28.pdf?dl=0

Do you have power on the white wire?

Changed the Ignition switch and still doing the same. What else I can check?
I do have 12 v on the white wire at all times.
I do have power up to fuse 19 that is the pgMFI main relay 2. The fuel pump is running and building pressure But there is no spark at the spark plugs.
Do you have the schematics showing who is controlling the voltage to the spark plugs?How do I know if the immobilizer control unit is causing the problem? I tried 2 different keys already.

I apologize for the delay.

Do you have a security/theft light flashing on the dash at all with this issue?

I don't have the security light flashing and I was able to start the engine twice last night but it stopped running after 10 seconds.What conditions are either preventing the fuel pump or injectors to operate and what is controlling the ignition coil?
Do you electrical schematics for the Ignition coil system?

I apologize for the delay.

Do you hear the fuel pump running at all when the engine will not start and run?Has fuel pressure been tested with this issue?

I can hear the fuel pump running when I turn the ignition key to on position but I'm not been able to check fuel pressure

Have you tested to see if your losing spark at all?

I have 48 psi on the fuel line and is holding up to 45 psi when cranking.I try using starting fluid on the throttle body but the car did not start. A couple times I check for spark on the Ignition coils and I didn't see anything but we must have spark sometimes because a couple times I got the motor running for a few seconds .
Mechanic for Honda: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Different expert here, you need to check compression.

Checked compression and is at 200 psi each cylinder but I was not able to have a tight connection on the pressure gauge hose.

200 psi is good. it should not be any higher than that. Sounds like your connection was fine.

The engine needs spark, fuel and compression to run. You have ruled out fuel and compression. So that leaves spark.

Changed all spark plugs and still doing the same. I've been able to get the motor running a couple times but it just run for 10 seconds. It seems to have spark at that time but each time I checked for spark there is nothing.
Do you have an electrical schematics of the ignition coils?
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 4 years ago
eric remington

H​ello do you have a scanner to ck pcm for codes? When its running is ck engine or antitheft lights on? Any other lights stay on when running? any lights flash on dash? Are injectors getting pulse? Do you have a fuel pressure?

I did check for error codes and the only found was the crankshaft position sensor intermittent that's why changed the crankshaft sensor. The few times I got it running, it runs normally with no ck engine, antitheft lights or any other light on. The fuel pressure is at 58 psi and go down to 55 when cranking. How I check for injectors pulse?
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 4 years ago

wh​ich crankshaft sensor code? a code doesn't mean thats it is the sensor necessarily. Does this mysterious code come back....what code is it. Does it go away if you erase it? Is it running now?

Do you have a logic probe? or volt meter?

I don't remember the code but we erase it and is not coming back anymore. Right now we don't have more error codes.
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 4 years ago

I can walk you though testing over the phone?

I just need a brief explanation, I'm a maintenance technician and familiar with troubleshooting.
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 4 years ago

need a brief explanation, what if its not a brief explanation

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 4 years ago

C​ould be many things...so that is why phone call needed....

Thanks but i'm not interested in phone conversation.
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 4 years ago

O​K I will opt out and if you change your mind just ask for me thanks

Mechanic for Honda: justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 years ago
justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician

My name is***** you still needing assistance with this issue?

justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician