Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2003 honda element k24a4 throwing P2646. Cleaned screens,

Customer Question
oil change with filter, replaced...
2003 honda element k24a4 throwing P2646. Cleaned screens, oil change with filter, replaced entire vtec spool/oil pressure switch, and vvt solenoid. still throwing code
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Honda
5/26/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Jim, ASE Certified Technician replied 26 days ago
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Did you buy the parts separate? or as a complete unit?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hope you can help. This this is driving me nuts
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
bought the one that goes above the oil filter as a unit

Did you use aftermarket parts or dealer parts

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
aftermarket
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
read horror stories of many hundreds in dealer parts for this code and it didn't fix it on Element sites and didnt' want to get burnt too bad

Here are somethings to check,

Locate the Variable Timing Electronic Control (VTEC) pressure switch on the end of the cylinder head. Honda has had problems with the VTEC oil pressure switch. There is an updated part number for the vehicle (37250-PNE-G01). On this vehicle, the VTEC oil pressure switch can fail at any RPM.
The VTEC oil switch is normally closed, and grounds the reference voltage from the Engine Control Module (ECM) on the Blue/Black (BLU/BLK) wire. If the code sets at idle - 2500 RPM - and the Brown/Yellow wire has a good ground, then suspect a faulty VTEC oil pressure switch.
At approximately 2500-4000 RPM when driving the vehicle, the VTEC system should turn on. To turn on the system, the ECM energizes the VTEC solenoid valve and it allows oil pressure into the intake valve rocker arms. The oil pressure opens the VTEC oil pressure switch so the Engine Control Module (ECM) can verify that the VTEC did turn on correctly.
The code will set at idle to 2500 RPM if the reference voltage is not grounded. The code will set above 2500-4000 RPM if the VTEC oil switch does not open.
If the code sets at 2500-4000 RPM or higher, the problem can be a low oil level or pressure, or a malfunction in the VTEC assembly.

Honda sells the VTEC pressure switch and solenoid housing as one assembly, so it may be wise to replace the assembly and screen at the same time.
The pressure switch can be erratic, so test it a few times before moving on to further diagnosis.

We have seen a lot of bad parts coming out of china in the after market that are bad out of the box, with the updated dealer part number it would be wise to use the complete assemably.

It is my goal to give you 5 star service, so please give me a 5 star rating before leaving the site today.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
any way to test that oil pressure switch with a multimeter?

Yes, I gave you that test in the second paragraph

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
34;If the code sets at idle - 2500 RPM - and the Brown/Yellow wire has a good ground, then suspect a faulty VTEC oil pressure switch." no way to open the switch with a pick or something while off the car to test?
i can clear the code and let it idle for hours and no code. only does it at high rpm which would mean low oil level (it's fresh and full) low oil pressure (which i need a honda tool 07NAJ-P07010A to do at the pressure switch) or vtec assembly (meaning cams?)

So at what RPM is the code setting at?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
im obviously watching the road instead of the tach but it when it triggers and throws into "limp mode" it feels to be above 3000-3500 rpm. maybe into 4's.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
once in limp mode it cuts out just below 3k and kicks back in around 2300
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
real pain to feather a 5 speed in a hilly area in that range

If it is coming on at that rpm you will need to first hook up an external oil pressure gauge and make sure you have the proper oil pressure for the vehicle. Next step.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
hook it to the hole for the pressure switch? if i do that i'd either need the special honda slpitter hose to keep the switch hooked up, or leave the switch out during testing correct? if i leave it out, will i get an accurate reading with a straight hose?

Here is where you want to check for oil pressure