Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I changed transmission on my car and connected all the wires…

Customer Question
Okay so I changed...

Okay so I changed transmission on my car and connected all the wires and everything and now the car wont start, the starter doesn't even make a noise when I turn the key over and the car started before transmission change

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you heard this particular sound before?

No the starter doesn't make a sound

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2002 honda civic ex

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

With an uncle and I've replaced the starter so it's new and tested the starter wires and they work I also tried jump starting the car still nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also shift lever doesn't get out of park even if the key is on and I press the brakes still doesn't and I've tried doing it manually from the transmission and tried turning it on and still nothing

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Honda
4/1/2018
Mechanic for Honda: MASTER TECH, Honda Technician replied 20 days ago
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician

Hello welcome to Just Answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today

the issue here is a disconnected range switch or a mis adjusted range switch.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Does that affect the starter and the problem with the shifter not shifting

yes because the pcm and tcm are seen no park or neutral position.

please check these connectors and the sensor.

was the transmission a used one or rebuilt unit.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
It was a used one and should i switch the old solenoids to the transmission I put on

ok did you replace the range switch also or used the one that came with the transmission ?

if you did use the one that came with the used transmission then I would remove the cover and make sure its plugged in and not damaged

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I replaced it but still doesn't work

did you align the marks on it cause it will be adjustable

here is the directions to make the adjustments

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
No I didn't but would that affect the ignition of car because it doenst start even when I turn the key to turn it on the starter doenst even make no noise and I've put the car in neutral and park manually from the transmission and still nothing

yes if you read the info I sent it will explain that due to the fact the tcm does not see park or neutral so no starter signal

step 1

check the connector and the range switch and make sure it's plugged in.

2

adjust the range switch as outlined in the info I sent you.

then let proceed after these items are done and checked.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Would that also explain why the key doesn't want to come out of the ignition unless the battery is disconnected

yes because the system is seen the car is not in park.

I work for Honda and this is a thing we see.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Okay I'll try it tomorrow or Tuesday and I will let you know what happens

sounds like a plan.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
How will I know what position the neutral switch is on or does it stay in one position ? Because from what I seen online if o buy a new one it comes in neutral
Mechanic for Honda: MASTER TECH, Honda Technician replied 19 days ago

if you follow the directions on the info I sent it will show you how to adjust it and set it to neutral position on the transmission and the switch and if the switch is off just move the switch center to the neutral position.

Mechanic for Honda: MASTER TECH, Honda Technician replied 15 days ago

how did this turn out ?

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
I haven't tried it yet I haven't been to my uncles house which is where the car is it but tomorrow I will try it

ok let me know how it goes.

Dino

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Okay I tried it and it worked but the park lever is still stuck in park
Are the brake lights working ?
Also the car will start now ?
Customer reply replied 15 days ago
the brake lights work and no it doenst start it stutters now but doesn't start
Mechanic for Honda: MASTER TECH, Honda Technician replied 14 days ago

hmm odd,

your 100% positive all the connections are plugged in and no terminals are damaged ?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I'm 100 percent sure all the connections are plugged in and yeah none of the terminals are damaged

hmm very strange unless the range switch you have is bad ?

let me locate a test and then it can be tested to see where the issue is at. give me a few minutes

here you go let's start here so we know which direction to proceed in.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I mean the car turns over but just doesn't start for example if I turn on the car it cranks but doenst start like if no gas was getting into the carb but when I put gas directly in the carb it still doenst start
Ok thank you for the clarification
When you turn the key on does the check engine light come on and go off or stays on ?
Is the green key icon flashing on the dash or goes out ?
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician