Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have an AC problem. The freon level is good. 2008 Honda…

Customer Question
I have an AC...

I have an AC problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

Yes. The freon level is good.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2008 Honda Civic Si Coupe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic Si yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I have brought it to diagnosis, and the person told me that the clutch and compressor for the AC is working, but there is no power coming from the car to power the ac relay. We tried bypassing the #12 relay with a wire and the clutch and compressor turned on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, I even swapped the #12 relay with the updated one from Honda and the problem still persists.

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Honda
3/29/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist replied 23 days ago
Roy
Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

does not make sense. if the ac compressor is working then the Ac relay is being powered and working.

can you explain the issue?? did you verify the compressor is engaged??

Roy

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Checked them all. There is freon in the system, when the relay #12 is unplugged and bypassed with a wire, the clutch turns on with noticeable click sound; which means the compressor is definitely turning on. With the relay in place, it does not turn on at all. The fans for the radiator however, is still working.

I attached a wire diagram for you to view. first thing to do is verify 2 powers to the relay for the compressor. check with either a volt meter or test light.

Roy

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Sorry, I didnt get the wiring diagram, would it be okay for you to send it again? Anything in particular I need to note when checking for the 2 powers?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Got it. A friend of mine who knows about wiring told me that it might be a case of wrong or loose ground near the blower motor? Can that be a possibility too? If so, which are the ground wites for the AC clutch and compressor? I’m waiting for confirmation from him cause he diagnosed my car before and told me the problem.

ok, you have a control side and a load side in the relay. power to the control side comes from a fuse, the ground is the pcm. it will ground the relay when it sees the correct signal from the pressure switches and control panel for ac command. when it grounds the control side, the load side engages and the compressor is commanded on.

no external grounds here at all.

Roy

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
If all the wires and wiring are okay, would it be that the PCM is malfunctioning? Cause I did hear my friend mention that the PCM is not supplying power to the relay?

pcm does not supply power to the relay, it grounds the relay based on inputs. you need to monitor the inputs from the pressure sensors

Roy

Mechanic for Honda: Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist replied 22 days ago

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

any update??

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
No update yet, still checking. So if one of the grounds from the pressure switches is malfunctioning, does that mean I have to replace it?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
attached is the unit he removed. He suspects that something in here is faulty. I was wondering if you have any wiring diagrams for this specific part that runs the ac system? He wants to check connections from here but not sure which is for ac.
5574712B-09D4-4D39-AA86...jpeg557471...jpeg293E09F0-CBC0-457C-9241...jpeg293E09...jpeg79BC4CD7-C3C9-46B2-8355...jpeg79BC4C...jpeg0C01B107-4C1A-47DB-B40A...jpeg0C01B1...jpegE93EAE18-3788-4A12-9246...jpegE93EAE...jpeg02686F8E-3127-4789-9677...jpeg02686F...jpeg

you need an advanced scan tool to monitor the ac system to see the inputs.

thats how you can tell if the pcm is grounding the relay.

Roy

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I don’t really have an advanced scan tool and neither does he, so this is the best he can do and test the wires one by one with a voltmeter.

if the switches are sending the proper signal and the pcm is not grounding the relay it is the pcm.

the only way to check is the signal is being sent is with a scan tool. it would be worth it to have someone check it for you to verify before pulling the trigger on anything.

Roy

Mechanic for Honda: Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist replied 20 days ago

any update

Roy
Roy
Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist