Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Car runs fine. After heating up the temperature rises and…

Car runs fine....

Car runs fine. After heating up the temperature rises and sits in the normal position. Everything A-OK.. Last week I noticed for the first time that when sitting in traffic, that the temperature would climb pat normal readings and head for the red zone. As soon as I could get moving, the temp would come down back to normal. The car has 125,000 miles on it. Is very well maintained. The coolant was changed about 12,000 miles ago. There are no leaks at the water pump. The coolant level is normal and there is plenty of coolant in the overflow. Since the temp is fine when the car is running, I am assuming that the water pump is a non-issue. The heater works great and I believe the fans work as well but still need to confirm this . I was thinking it might be the thermostat or ECT sensors 1 or 2. What are your thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

Huh??

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

206 Honda CRV 2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far................

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think all of the key information has been provided.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech/Advanced Diagnostic

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, you say the cooling fans work ok, is it low on coolantt? Do you have good heater operation?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
As stated above, the heater works great............
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
the fans do come on.............

Just double checking. Long as its full of coolant and the cooling fans are working properly yes a stuck closed thermostat can cause this but so can a restricted radiator. The increased airflow thru the radiator is pointing towards that

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It takes a while for the engine temp to climb past normal but it will climb about 3/4 of the way toward the red zone if left standing. As soon as the car moves and gets up to speed, the temp immediately comes down
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
again, I believe this indicates that the water pump is fine.

Yes it sounds like a radiator issue as long as the fans are working. You can check for cold spots in the radiator face or with an infra red thermometer. That would indicate a restriction. With it running hot you should change the thermostat regardless.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm thinking that perhaps the thermostat is beginning to go or perhaps one or both of the ECT Sensors need replacing.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I checked YouTube and that is the reason that I think it may be one of the ECT sensors...........
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I do not have diagnostic equipment so I made an appointment to bring my car in to Honda this Thursday

Not a sensor issue, sounds like the temperature sensor is working fine. Just have them verify the fans are operating at the full speed as they should, then verify if the radiator is restricted. I doubt its a bad temperature sensor.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The problem is that Honda way over charges for parts and labor. They wanted $82.00 for sensor number one which I was able to secure online for only $42.00 for the exact same OEM part. That was for sensor number one.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm searching for the correct part number for sensor number 2 now and for prices online

There are no technical service bulletins for a sensor issue. Airflow is whats pointing to the issue, airflow wont cause a sensor not to read correctly.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Should my local Honda dealer determine that the problem is in fact the water pump or thermostat, I already have those OEM parts put away for such a problem.

They can install your parts especially if they are oem ones. Im leaning to a radiator or fan motor issue. If the thermostat was stuck closed it would overheat pretty quickly.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Again, just looking to secure some additional intel or perspective issues before bringing the car in so I do not get raked over the coals............

No problem, you dont have to bring it to a dealer, most shops have scan tool equipment to check this for you. A dealer is always more expensive, but sometimes its worth it, depends on the issue. Something like this is straight forward.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I change the coolant every two years regardless of mileage and it is nice and clean and the radiator looks great in and out
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
when drained, the coolant comes out almost as clean is it went in two years earlier, based on that info, do you still think it might be a blockage?

Doesnt matter, f its got some miles on it, they still plug up. The temperature check across the radiator will tell if there is an issue as I mentioned. You may be able to rent the infrared thermometer from a local auto parts store or pick one up cheap.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I will run the car this afternoon in my driveway to confirm the fans are working at 100%. If they are, what is you next suggestion?

Check radiator, replace if needed. Replace thermostat.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I have a Digital Handheld laser Infrared IR Thermometer, that should work, yes?

Yes, when it runs hot check for colder spots in the middle of the radiator, there should be a 10 degree differenece from the top to the bottom, hotter at the tp. even temps across the middle. if you see a big difference, its a restriction.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
OK, if there is no restriction, can I assume that the next step is to change the thermostat?

That is correct as long as the cooling fans are working.

if you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

HDGENE
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
OK, thank you for your help..............
HDGENE
HDGENE