Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My accord did not pass smog check because the check engine…

Customer Question
My accord did not...

My accord did not pass smog check because the check engine bulb is bad it’s saying the guy informed me saying it’s easy to fix but I can’t figure it out

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No it just says fail on my smog paper for dash bulb

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Honda Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What year is your Accord?

2009 lx

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took the face off where all the gauges above steering wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

So the specific fail on smog says OBD bulb check and OBDH both say fail next to them

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Honda
Hello
3/26/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Greg, import technician replied 3 months ago
Greg
Greg, import technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Okay here is what i need you to do first .

Take a trip down to your local autoparts store and get hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool and check for any malfunction codes .AutoZone normally do this for free.

You will have one or more codes but for sure one will be check engine light circuit .

This is when you switch ON the ignition and no check engine light comes ON.

What should happen if all systems are working :

Switch on ignition Check engine light will light UP.

When you start the engine the light should go out .If all systems are working correctly if you have a problem the check engine light will stay "ON".

What i see a lot of is when one sells a car and the check engine light is :ON: with the engine running they will cut the check engine light circuit to take out the warning light to fool buyers.

Not sure what your DIY is but if you think you can check this let me know and i will help .

otherwise you will need to visit a good Honda repair center or the dealer .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Gre
g