Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

At first I thought it was the alternator or something

Customer Question
At first I thought...

At first I thought it was the alternator or something electrical. But, then once the code was ran and a mechanic looked at the car, he said there was a deltoid build up. when I suggested to just clean the selouid, he explained that it would just leak again and suggested a rebuilding the transmission or getting a used one to replace the current one.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

I have never replaced the hoses, it's a 2002 Honda Civic ex 1.4. and I drove it off the lot brand new. I have 140K miles on the car. I drive in urban settings mostly, and I'll do a road trip once in a while.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just got my timing belt and water pump replaced last month and paid $1200 to get that done so I'm surprised I'm having a mother problem with it again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am not fixing it myself because I'm not sure what's wrong with it. It's condition changed from the alternator to electrical to transmission rebuild in a matter of 4 days and 4 different people's opinions. I would like to know what I should do: a rebuild or a used trans? how many years after this will the car be operable? Like, can I get another 5 years out of the car with this $1500 investment?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Honda
3/26/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Can you describe the issue that is occurring with this fault here and do you know if any fault codes are set/coming up with this issue?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.