Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Well I hope so :) Both the cabin air filter and the air

Quick question. Well I...

Quick question. Well I hope so :) Both the cabin air filter and the air filter found under the hood can both affect the emission engine light?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?

No to all those questions. I'm not trying to "solve" this right now. But those need to be changed and before I take it to the dealer I'd like them handled. Just wondering if they are related

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2016 pilot

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far. Light just came on. But we haven't changed any air filters since we bought it. So I want to at least do that. We are out of warranty so anything I can do ahead of time would be best for us

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!
The cabin air filter is not monitored in any way by any on-board computer system. If this filter is dirty it cannot set the emissions light. The engine air filter "can" IF it is excessively dirty. However, more times than not, this is usually not the case. If the emissions light is on, then there is a problem in the "EVAP" System. Unfortunately, there are literally dozens of parts and sensors in the EVAP system and to take a guess as to which is faulty would be impossible. The next course of action here is to have the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes") scanned from the on-board computer. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced, etc). These p-codes will more accurately point to the part or sensor that has the problem and from there, the correct repair can be made. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
OK thank you. This answered my question.

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Have a great day!

Sorry one more thing if possible? The code is P403 - could I ride this out until next Monday? The car at the moment runs fine. We are moving this week and time is a problem.Thanks

Please hold one moment while I type out some info for you...

The P0403 is pointing to a problem in the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) System. There are a few different items that will need to be tested in the system to find out which has the fault. In the meantime, it is "safe" to drive the vehicle. However, you "may" notice a bit of power loss and/or lower fuel economy.

OK gotcha.The print out from Auto Zone said something similar. Had faulty catalytic converter, Ignition sytsem concern, air leak near oxygen sensor and a few others.Thank you

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today!