Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2008 civic hybrid with a bad IMA battery. Is there…

I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 civic hybrid with a bad IMA battery. Is there a way to eliminate that system and make it operate as a regular car?

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I just got the car from a friend who said it is bad. He had someone do a partial turnoff several years ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing depends.Have read lots about reconditioning the battery but if a clean/easy disconnect is possible I would do that

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I suppose that is it. How does this work? Will I pay for written instructions? Do you know the charge?

3/25/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

There is no way to eliminate the hybrid battery system. There is not a conventional starter or alternator as they are both integrated into the hybrid transmission and are powered by both the inverter and in the case of the alternator, the braking system. The electronics of the vehicle are heavily tied to the hybrid battery system, not the 12v battery.

I guess I am stuck until I replace/recondition the battery

HI,

Unfortunately you have only 2 choices - replace the battery or trade in the vehicle as is. To change it from hybrid to solely a gas vehicle is not feasible or possible. Sorry for the bad news in this case

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager