Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have an 89 civic dx hatchback 1.5 5spd. The car starts…

Customer Question
I have an 89...

I have an 89 civic dx hatchback 1.5 5spd. The car starts runs,idlesand revs fine. Until you drive it. It stals everytime you come to a stop.may or may not start right away. Push it back into the driveway(which is on a slight incline it will start again). We have replaced the fuel pump( this was happing before the repacement). New main relay,Dizzy,ECU,Plugs,Wires,Cap and button. When the fuel pump was replaced it started blowing the Alt fuse and we replaced thd Alt and that problem stopped. When it stals it will start on starter fluid. You do hear the fuel pump prime.what else would be causing this

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

156xxx. Start just fine until you drive it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Hatchback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and everything is in the question i sent

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/24/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
If you try to replace the idle air control motor?That would explain the stalling at idle and also explain why would start on starting fluid, you're running too lean because idle air control motor stuck open and when you spray the starting fluid in your Richland up the mixture which allows it to start.
The idle air control is working. You can unplug it while its running and the rpms drop. It wont stay running when you hit it with the starter fluid. This only happens after you drive it.
The car starts and runs fine until you drive down the road. Then it starts the staling and you can hit it with starting fluid it will run until its out of starting fluid. But you hear the fuel pump prime.
I think you need to do a fuel pressure test as well as checking the fuel injectors for 12v when the vehicle dies to see if maybe the pump is just very weak and possibly it is effecting the fuel pump relay and causing the injectors or sensors in the engine bay to not give the proper signals due to a low supply voltage.
Ive check supply voltage to the pump it was good. Pump is new. I havent checked voltage at the injectors but ohm's were in range for both injectors.
It ended up being the fuel pump not picking up fuel from the bottom of the tank. Due to the bottom of the replacment fuel pump coming apart