Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Lost keys to car and only have a dummy key how can I start…

Customer Question
Hi lost keys to...

Hi lost keys to car and only have a dummy key how can I start it with dummy key

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

Yes but it only opens the car

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

Accord 2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

Can’t afford a tow and tried to move it on neutral but couldn’t

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yeah if there is a way to start up the car to take to dealer with back up key or under the hood would be helpful

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Honda
3/23/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

Hi there - so, the key will open the car, fit in the ignition, but it doesn't start. Is this correct?

Or, this is push button start system?

If the car has an immobilizer (which from your description, it does) then you have a problem.

There is no over ride for the system.

The technology is similar to what is used for chipping dogs and cats - RFID. If the car doesn't see the key / FOB with the correct RFID tag, nothing happens. There is no over ride, otherwise, the bad guys would figure this out, and a system of this type would not serve any useful purpose.

Sorry to be the bearer of this news.