Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

1998 Honda Accord LX 2.3 Manual -- replacing CV axles and…

1998 Honda Accord LX 2.3...
1998 Honda Accord LX 2.3 Manual -- replacing CV axles and the shaft seals. Need service Instructions for how to put in seals, how to replace the CV axle, etc. Also, the half shaft, or whatever it's called (the shaft on the driver's side that goes into the tranny and then connects to another CV axle that goes to the hub, the bearing in it wobbles a bit. Should that be replaced as well? Thx.
3/22/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Dose you Accord also have the intermediate shaft?

Sorry, that's what i was trying to explain with the bearing part of my question, just didn't know the verbiage.

Okay Stephen, I have enclosed the removal step as well as install steps for the axles in the first to links. The second two links are for the intermediate shaft. As for the seals, they just pop out once the axle is out of the way and when you reinstall them use a seal driver to assure they go in straight. Have a look and post back if you have more questions and or need more help

Removal steps in these links.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9mihik1d3oeavs/Drive%20axle%20Mar%2022.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c97j8tkm3saqgyx/inter%20mitt%20Mar%2022.pdf?dl=0

Install steps in these links.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ib680im6mqmizq/Axle%20install%20Mar%2022.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3bochvkmp21y8d/Intermit%20Install%20Mar%2022.pdf?dl=0

Thx. Any opinion on the bearing part of my question with the intermediate shaft? There's a bit of play in the bearing in the intermediate shaft. Should it be replaced, or would you think it would be okay? I'm doing this for people on a budget, and I don't want them to have to pay more than needed, but nor do I want them to have to pay to have it all redone in the near future.

A little In and out play is normal but if you have up and down play then replace it. If its tight up and down then you should be fine.

Thx. Should the seals go in with everything cleaned off and dry (the seal itself and the area where it pressed into, or should the seal and/or area it goes be coated with something? If coated, with what? Thx.

It should go in with everything cleaned off and dry. No coating is needed.

Thanks, ***** ***** removed the castle nut for the tie rod end by mistake. Could you send me the torque spec for that castle nut, please?

The torque specs are 29 to 36 ft-lbs for the castle nuts and yes the grease will work just fine.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks. Okay, sorry to be stupid on this, but do I put grease on the splines of all the axles, or just the left axle where it goes into the intermediate shaft, but not where it goes into the transmission or the Hub either the left or right side?

The only one that needs grease is the intermediate shaft, the drive axles will get there lube from the transmission.

Any tricks to get the axle to actually go into the transmission?

Once you get the splines lined up, take a rubber mallet and smack it a few time and it should pop right in.

As in, smack the end of the shaft that would go into the Hub?

Yes that is correct, at the end of the shaft.

Okay, I can't tell if the shaft is splines are lined up. I'm afraid of damaging everything.

Twist it till you feel some tension and it should be lined up.

Got it. Thank you. The seal went in crooked at first, even though I was using the seal driving tool. It went in pretty much all the way on one side before it even went in Parkway on the other side. I ended up hammering at the rest of the way in using the seal tool. Do you think it is okay?

Yea if it ended up straight you should be okay.

Great, thx. I was worried that because it was metal, it might have scored up the sides and leaked.

That not likely, you should be fine.