Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Loud clunk when shifting to reverse. 03 odyssey so 15 years…

Loud clunk when shifting...

Loud clunk when shifting to reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

03 odyssey so 15 years no leaking it feels more like the engine is shaking when changine the gear this only happens for reverse. Drive is just fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

No repairs done yet if its easy enough i can do it myself

3/22/2018
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Thank you for taking time to seek expert Honda advice. I am reviewing your question and gathering information. Please standby.

Just changed the engine oil a couple days ago. A little over 130,000 miles on the van. Also while changing the oil there was a thick greenish black grease covering some parts under the car. Have no clue what it is but would love to know

Your description sounds exactly like a bad motor mount. There is a Honda service bulletin about this problem(attached). Click HERE for the mount parts information. The bulletin also shows how to replace the mount. If you can give me a few min I will look for more info on replacing the mount. I know it's in a really tight spot.

Your greenish grease is from one of the drive axle CV joints. The axles have a rubber boot at each end if split open they will leak. If they are leaking it won't be long till they are noisy or go bad.

Here is a bunch of video about the front engine mount. I have also found a few images with leaking and OK CV joint boots. The rubber boot can leak a small amount from the banded area that's OK.

Please reply if you need more help so we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the page before exiting the site. Rating does not close out your question or cost extra. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, I will try to give you the best answer possible.

Thank you!
~Honda-Man Factory trained and ASE certified Honda-BMW tech 30+ years experience

Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic