Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

What should the voltage be coming off of a 2014 Honda Accord…

Customer Question
What should the voltage be...
What should the voltage be coming off of a 2014 Honda Accord 2.4 engine alternator? I already know that it is typically above 14 volts so I don’t Any guesses I need to know. It is putting out 12.5 and one source (car parts.com) said this is normal. It doesn’t seem normal to me though because a car battery is suppose to be 12.6. How could it be normal if it is less than what the battery is suppose to be?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

12.5 would seem a little low, as in not able to keep the battery charged...

What kind of troubles is the car experiencing?

Lights come on like the ldw, fcw, check engine light, sometimes abs and airbag light. Sometimes the ac won’t work when those lights come on.

It sounds like the alternator is not charging, and those are probably low voltage codes in the ABS and SRS control modules

Okay. We will try it out and see if changing the alternator fixes the issue. Does the ecu sometimes fail to tell the alternator to charge. A Honda tech told me the alternator is an on demand alternator so I guess that the voltage changes

It does. Do you have a voltmeter? We can do some checks before you replace the alternator.

Many vehicles vary the charging system output voltage, but the voltage should go up a little when you turn on accessories like the blower motor, etc.

So, I would start the car, put a voltmeter across the battery terminals, turn on some accessories, and see what happens.

The brushes could be worn in the alternator, causing this intermittent changing condition.

That makes sense. How much will the voltage often vary?

Well it could be 12.7... if the battery was fully charged, and there were minimal electrical loads, but typically it would be higher - 13s I would think. I'm going to pull a diagram on this car to check out the system for you... hang on.

Yeah this is a smart system. There should be a clamp around the positive battery cable - a round, black device.Were there any modifications, accidents, cold air intakes, or anything that was changed before this problem presented itself?

No. It is a flood vehicle but the water was below the battery level and alternator level. I haven’t noticed and corroded wires but I guess if there were a ground wire closer to the ground, it could cause an issue.
no mortification makes or changes.

I can send you a wiring diagram if you have an email address.

Your car, or a customer car?

That would be great. XXXXXXXXXXXX

Message sent.

if you are satisfied with the service, please close up the question, and rate my answer. Thanks. Canuck