Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2011 Honda V6 - Battery almost dead after two-weeks of

2011 Honda V6 -...

2011 Honda V6 - Battery almost dead after two-weeks of non-use. Once recharged, with ignition off the car is drawing 250 mili-amps of power (0.25 amps). Is this to be expected? .I have heard that occasionally a diode in the alternator can fail and allow current flow. What's up?

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Battery accepts a full charge and if car is used frequently there is no problem. Honda checked the alternator and said it was fine but I don't know how extensive their test was. Battery voltage with engine off is around 12.6 volts with alternator on about 14 volts.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '11 Honda?

2011 Honda Accord V-6 Coupe with 6-speed standard trans. 40K miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked terminal connections for corrosion (none), but that's it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, car has been perfect except for this. Battery was replaced about two years ago.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

How long did you wait reading the meter for the amount of draw it had and did you lock the vehicle doors as well?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Doors were not locked. Meter reading bounced so I held it for about one minute.

O.k., the draw is way too much.Usually, you want to see under 40 or under 30 milliamp.Try locking the doors and observe the meter for up to 10 minutes.There are computers that take time to power down completely and it can be normal for the drain to be high at first then go to normal within about 10 minutes time.If it does not drop down to normal let me know here so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Meter reading bounced so I waited for about a minute and got the 0.25amp reading. Doors were not locked so does this mean that the alarm should not draw power?
Phone call session started

O.k.,what needs done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery,this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need replaced.If you need help knowing what is on the fuses circuit once the fuse is located let me know.