Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

No sparks 1998 Honda Odyssey cranks but no sparks. I just…

No sparks 1998 Honda...

No sparks 1998 Honda Odyssey cranks but no sparks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just tested if I have fuel pressure (I have) and checked the sparks (none)

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

220,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It started to die as no fuel, a few erratic engine sound and after a minute or two just died

my question is: could this be a bad ignitor? how can I test it?
3/20/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. If you are not getting spark, the most probable cause for this issue is the distributor has failed. This component is what provides spark to the plugs. Here, I am attaching the electrical information for the circuits with the areas of concern highlighted.

Here, I am providing the replacement and testing information for this component.

Here, I am providing. Further testing.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Where is the PCM located?

I'm sorry. Just seeing this. One moment, please.

Here is the location of the PCM.

This is the brain of the vehicle and I doubt that the PCM is the issue.

the PCM 25P connector, where the YEL/GRN cable is, the C477 (25-GRY) connector. Thank you!

Here is the pin information. B13 is the wire you are asking for.

Perfect! Thank you!

You are very welcome. Have a great night.

No, this was not the problem. I checked all steps, looked like the ICM need to be changed. I got a new ICM, put it in, but still nothing.

Did you replace the complete distributor? Did you check for the signal from the PCM? What you need to do is scan the vehicle for trouble codes. This will indicate the area of concern. Once I get to me laptop and situated, I will check for this information

Well, I replaced only the ICM. I have only a P1259 code, which is a VTEC malfunction code, but because this is an old engine, it is normal to have this code. I had the code for years, the car worked OK. No other codes present.
Ok, so there is spark coming out of the coil.
However if there is no cap on the distributor, just the rotor, the spark goes to the metal end of the rotor. Which is strange, because in that case the rotor is somehow taking the current to body ground. Am I right?

Hello. I'm here.

Hi Todd!

Hello. I see your issue. What you can try is to replace the cap and rotor. If this does not cure the issue, then you will need to replace the complete assembly.

Have you replaced the cap and rotor, yet?

No, not yet. I want to see if the rotor is somehow cracked or what first. I purchased the new ICM for $120, I do not want to spend more money unnecessary.

I completely understand. That's why I asked did you replaced the rotor and cap yet. If you replace the rotor, you may as well replace the cap. These are the only other things that would cause your issue. If the rotor and cap is not the issue, I believe that you may end up replacing the complete distributor assembly.

The rotor was the culprit, tiny crack under the metal conductor.
That's great. Thank you for the update