Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Working on a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.6 L

diesel engine. We had an...
Working on a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.6 L diesel engine. We had an ABS light and while driving the vehicle and monitoring the inputs from the wheel sensors we noticed the front left ABS sensor was not giving us an indication on the scan tool while driving and then once we hit a certain speed it picked up and started working. Can you provide troubleshooting steps on the front left ABS sensor situation? It might be built into the hub bearing.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Where you getting a fault code to go along with the lack of signal?

Is your HD a*****or a 4WD?

4wd and he cleared the code but it said front left and front right sensor erratic was the description of the code

Okay GM release a service bulletin on this with the wheel speed sensor that will show you how to check them. You will also want to make sure the mounting surface is free of any rust. The sensors are replaceable without having to replace the hubs unless the hubs are bad. See the testing steps in the service bulletin below. Have a look and see if this is what you're looking for.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z903jacfr8xkp72/Wheel%20speed%20sensor%20Mar%2019.pdf?dl=0

See the circuit wiring diagram in this link as well for testing reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3alyi4hjb2z0zll/LF%20wiring%20Mar%2019.pdf?dl=0

OK so I gave you a little bit of the wrong information. We had already replaced the front left ABS sensor because it was severed near the connector. So this connector is brand new however the old sensor that came off had three washers or gaskets that we’re keeping the sensor farther away from its mounting location. We reinstall those three gaskets on the new sensor which only came with an O ring. I wonder if the sensor is too far away from the tone ring to read accurately because it has three gaskets pulling it away? Do you follow what I’m telling you?

I think I would remove the washers/gaskets, I think someone likely added them. There is nothing in the replacement steps that call for shimming the sensor.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician