Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Working on a 2014 Ford focus ST with a 2.0 L engine. We just…

Working on a 2014 Ford...
Working on a 2014 Ford focus ST with a 2.0 L engine. We just replaced the engine with a new Motorcraft engine. We also replaced the clutch and clutch slave cylinder with Motorcraft parts. We could not get the pressure to hold on the clutch and after a couple days we decided to replace the master cylinder which we would like to do today. Is there any special procedure that needs to take place during the master cylinder replacement or are we missing something? Seems odd that we need to replace the master cylinder already on this vehicle. If you agree that we need to please provide the installation instructions. Thanks for your help
3/19/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

I would try bleeding the system a few more time and if you can not get the clutch to come up then that really only leaves a bad master. This sounds to me more like trapped air. I have enclosed the bleed procedure in the first link for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2lsueu1b0dt8fv/clutch%20bleed%20Mar%2019.pdf?dl=0

See the master cylinder steps in this link as well if needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xrax6tmjpvozow/Master%20Mar%2019.pdf?dl=0

We definitely bled the system about six different times over the course of two days.

Well if you not building any pressure then that does point to the Master.

Need the remove and replace procedure for the clutch master cylinder not the brake master cylinder.

The clutch and the brake share the same reservoir and the clutch master cylinder is at the pedal on the firewall. See the link below. For some reason, Ford does not offer the removal steps but I remember only having to unbolt it on my daughters Focus at the pedal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7srbnke711g7sy/Clutch%20Mar%20190.pdf?dl=0

Yes very likely, the last time I had to replace on it came as an assembly with a new reservoir.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician