Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I put a used engine in our 96 Honda accord. the engine in it…

Customer Question
I put a used...

I put a used engine in our 96 Honda accord. the engine in it was a 2.2 vetch. the engine we put in was a 98 2.3 vetch. I switched over everything but the crank sensor. I now have a p1361 code

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

Rev limiter stops at 3000 rpms other than that it runs fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yeah doing it myself. I have not tried anything yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so, just trying to come up with a plan of attack

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Honda
3/19/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Matt, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I would say it sounds like the crank trigger wheel and / or the cam trigger wheel are different between the 2 engines

I'd remove the crank and cam sensors on both and peer into the hole with a torch and count the number of teeth you can see when turning the engine over

if they are different then the ECU will see a different speed to what its expecting and would explain the issue

To resolve it you may find the easiest option is to fit the 1998 ECU however this will then need coding up to match the rest of the car

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer