Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My speedo and odometer goes on and off when it wants too and…

Customer Question
My speedo and odometer...

My speedo and odometer goes on and off when it wants too and at different times.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

94 civic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked fuses is all i did so far.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes in engine bay and under steering wheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just bought the car and the old owner cut the wires to radio.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
3/18/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Thank you for taking time to seek expert Honda advice. I am reviewing your question and gathering information. Please standby.

Hello and welcome! Most likely the vehicle speed sensor is bad. It's also called the VSS. It's very common for your generation of Civic. I have attached images and instructions for the VSS replacement. Click HERE for the parts information.

Please reply if you need more help so we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the page before exiting the site. Rating does not close out your question or cost extra. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, I will try to give you the best answer possible.

Thank you!
~Honda-Man Factory trained and ASE certified Honda-BMW tech 30+ years experience.