Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My check engine light came on so I took it to autozone and…

Customer Question
My check engine light...

My check engine light came on so I took it to autozone and they read 4 codes. P0977, p0974, p0980 and p2770. Not sure what to do.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on and there’s a flashing green light on D

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2003 Honda accord

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’ve replaced shift solenoid b and the connector to it. It start off with just one code p0977 and since I replaced the broken connector now there’s four codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s all I know

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
3/18/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

If you can be patient I will check our shop notes and get back tomorrow with some suggestions and assist you further.

P0977 HONDA - Shift Solenoid Valve 'B' Circuit Open

Possible causes; Faulty Shift Solenoid Valve 'B', Shift Solenoid Valve 'B' harness is open or shorted, Shift Solenoid Valve 'B' circuit poor electrical connection

P0977 HONDA Description; When shift solenoid valves A, B, C, D, and E are turned ON, the hydraulic pressure circuit opens. The hydraulic pressure circuit supplies/discharges hydraulic pressure to/from each clutch according to the combination of the ON/OFF status of the shift solenoid valves. The Power-train Control Module (PCM) commands the driver circuit to turn on the shift solenoid valve. The circuit diagnoses malfunctions such as a circuit short or open, and sends back a return signal during the PCM's command. When the return signal does not match the PCM command, a malfunction is detected by the PCM. When the return signal does not match the PCM command to turn ON the shift solenoid valve, the PCM detects a malfunction and stores a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).

P0974 - Shift Solenoid 'A' Control Circuit High

Possible causes; Faulty Shift Solenoid 'A' Shift Solenoid 'A' harness is open or shorted Shift Solenoid 'A' electrical circuit poor electrical connection

P0974 Description; The Engine Control Module (ECM) commands gear shifts by turning the shift solenoid valves ON/OFF . When there is an open or short circuit in any shift solenoid valve circuit, the ECM detects the problem and illuminates the engine light and stores the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). And the ECM performs the fail-safe function and turns the other shift solenoids valves in good condition ON/OFF .

P0980 HONDA - Shift Solenoid Valve 'C' Open

Possible causes; Faulty Shift Solenoid 'C', Shift Solenoid 'C' harness is open or shorted, Shift Solenoid 'C' circuit poor electrical connection

Possible symptoms; Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light), Lack/Loss of power, Transmission shifting problems

P0980 HONDA Description; When shift solenoid valves A, B, C, D, and E are turned ON, the hydraulic pressure circuit opens. The hydraulic pressure circuit supplies/discharges hydraulic pressure to/from each clutch according to the combination of the ON/OFF status of the shift solenoid valves. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) commands the driver circuit to turn on the shift solenoid valve. The circuit diagnoses malfunctions such as a circuit short or open, and sends back a return signal during the PCM's command. When the return signal does not match the PCM command to turn OFF the shift solenoid valve, the PCM detects a malfunction and stores a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).

P2770 HONDA - Open in Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve Circuit

Possible causes; Low transmission fluid level, Dirty transmission fluid, Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve, Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness is open or shorted Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit, poor electrical connection

P2770 HONDA Description; The torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, with the gear in D4, by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the vehicle speed and the Engine Control Module (ECM). Lock-up piston operation will then be controlled. When the torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, the torque converter lockup clutch will engage creating a 1 to 1 RPM ratio between the transmission input shaft and the rotational speed of the torque converter.Lock-up operation, however, is prohibited when A/T fluid temperature is too low.When the accelerator pedal is depressed (less than 2/8) in lock-up condition, the engine speed should not change abruptly. If there is a big jump in engine speed, there is no lock-up.

If you had already fixed or replaced one broken wire , it looks like that may be the case with all these other codes so I would closely check again in that area for those other solenoid wires. The other thing I would recommend is a transmission fluid flush, as this is done with a machine and cleaners to remove harmful varnishes and deposits that effect these solenoids from shifting properly. So there is a list of your trouble codes and what they mean, if you need further assistance let me know and I will be happy to help.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.