Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My 1998 honda accord auto trans shifts from 1st to 2nd then…

Customer Question
My 1998 honda accord...

My 1998 honda accord auto trans shifts from 1st to 2nd then it will slam back into 1st, it shows a check engine light. I bought the car with a bad motor and changed motors, I believe that the guy that changed the motor may have purposely sabotaged it because he was trying to buy the car from me. Could the problem be from a unplugged solenoid? I am a decent mechanic myself, I was injured in a car accident and have a hard time working on cars these days and I truly believe that this guy is trying to screw me.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just parked it and started doing research, this is my 1st step. I'm not at the car now or I would have checked to see if I could see anything unplugged and I also plan to run the codes, what I mainly want to know is if one of the sensors was unplugged would it act like that?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes the guy went to "wash" the car at a public car wash about a mile away, he was gone over a hour when he should have been gone no longer than 15 min. when he got back he told me about the problem, I took the car for a test and it immediately shifted from 1st to 2nd then back to 1st. I believe if it would have been doing that when he left he would have immediately came back, I believe that he unplugged the sensor a few blocks from my house

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Mechanic for Honda: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 4 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

You didn't answer my question, what I mainly want to know if you read my question is would my transmission act like this if one of the sensors was unplugged? So far I am extremely disappointed in your service, I just wanted to know if it was possible to get this problem if you unplugged the sensors
I really hope that your not going to charge me for this lame answer, you apparently didn't even read what I wrote, you must have a already written thing for any problem that comes up, for instance my problem was transmission so you send me the standard reply to check my fluid and smell it. What does that have to do with the question I asked? Nothing, if you couldn't answer my question then you better not charge my card, that would make you unscrupulous as the last guy that worked for me.
It takes 24 hrs? By then I will be able to look at it myself, I was hoping that you would be able to tell me if the sensors were unplugged if it possibly would act like this. If you actually read my question then you would have answered the questions that I asked in the 1st place. As of now I am extremely disappointed in your service, I feel like I am paying for a standard answer to a question about a transmission not what I asked.
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 4 months ago
eric remington

OK DO THIDS RECONNECT SENSORS RECORD TROUBLE CODES THEN ERAE THEM CK FLUID LEVELS TEST DRIVE FRECEHCK FOR CODES THEN REPORT BACK TO ME TK?

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 4 months ago

do you still require assistance

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago

hello do you still need help?

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago

so can we do that reconnect sensors erase codes and test drive and let me know what code arises

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago

I can help you but I need response