Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My key wont turn when I try to start it. I have two keys and…

Customer Question
My key wont turn...

My key wont turn when I try to start it

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

I have two keys and neither work

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2009 honda ridgeline

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ridgeline yourself? What have you tried so far?

I wiggled the steering wheel and used both keys and nothing works

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
3/16/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

It sounds like there is either debris in the lock cylinder keeping it from turning or one of the pins in the cylinder is stuck not allowing the key to turn. Both cases are fairly common on this vehicle.

At this point you can either replace the lock cylinder or have a locksmith come out and try to repair the cylinder.

Do you plan to do any repairs yourself?

Do you have some WD-40 handy?