Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

It will start, but after a few seconds it will die. 1993…

It will start, but...

It will start, but after a few seconds it will die.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

1993 Honda Accord

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes nothing

3/15/2018
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Thank you for taking time to seek expert Honda advice. I am reviewing your question and gathering information. Please standby.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

Hello I am Cliff aka Honda-Man. There are a few very common part failure that can cause your problem. The main relay or the ignition switch electrical portion(not the key part). When does it stall? Cold warm etc?

Thanks, Cliff

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in Atlanta, the weather has been warm when I’m attempting to keep the car running. It will run for 5 seconds then stall then cut off. It will start up fine and continue this process. However the problem began with it shutting off then not starting back up again it will take a couple of hours or even til the next day for it to start, now it doesn’t do that anymore it shuts on then right off.

Sounds like the main relay. It's probably the #1 Honda problem from 1988-2003. It's up under the dash driver side. Most auto parts stores sell them. it supplies power to the fuel pump and computer system.

The relay is approx $30 bucks. The ignition switch electrical portion can also be a problem. It's probably #2 for your symptoms. Holding the key slightly clockwise after it starts is a quick test.

The switch contacts wear out so holding it slightly clockwise skips over the bad spot so to speak. Like I mentioned the main relay is the most common.

Please reply if you need more help so we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the page before exiting the site. Rating does not close out your question or cost extra. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, I will try to give you the best answer possible.

Thank you!
~Honda-Man Factory trained and ASE certified Honda-BMW tech 30+ years experience.

Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!!! I will keep you updated.

Thanks I would like to hear what happens!

Cliff

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I hold the key slightly clockwise after starting it, what am I looking for?

That it keeps running. Don't turn it too far or the starter will grind.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok when I slightly turned the key while it was running, the radio shut off and the car still died.

OK sounds like it's the main relay then.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok sounds good! Thanks.

No problem, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey, I replaced the main relay and still the same problem. Can I rule out the ignition since I did the test?

Darn, you can probably rule out the switch. It might be bad but probably not. Have you checked the basic stuff like cap,rotor, plugs, etc? Fuel maybe? It might have a bad fuel pump or ignition system component.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey, Now the car won’t start and the D4 light is blinking and the check engine light stays on after I turn the key.

Has any work been done recently or before this all started?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I replaced the main relay as well as the distributor, after cranking the car 3x the CEL and D4 light stopped showing up and the car is starting now but it is still shutting off after a few seconds

There is an important ground wire for the control modules. It's located on or under the thermostat housing. Black wire(s) bolted just under the thermostat housing. It may be loose or corroded?

Check the engine coolant sensor (ECT). Might be loose or unplugged.

Recheck the distributor connections to the ignition module coil etc. If the female terminals on the ICM are loose it will cause all kinds of problems.

I will be out for a few hours but will check back as soon as I can.

Thanks, Cliff

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you I will check it out and now that I think about it, my temperature needle would not get to operating temperature sometimes.

Sounds good. If I don't answer right away today don't worry I will get to you asap.

Honda-Man
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic