Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2017 Honda CR-V, and I think I tried to haul a load…

Hi! I have...

Hi! I have a 2017 Honda CR-V, and I think I tried to haul a load that was too heavy.... approximately 700+ pounds. Now the car's handling and ride are noticeably different...awful, in fact. What could I have damaged with overloading the rear suspension?

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

I need to check for the fluid. It seems bumpier in the rear, and it does not recover from bumps and dips appropriately. It seems to not be as stable on the road, especially with crosswinds.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am unable to fix it myself. I have not tried anything yet. I just want to have some knowledge of what it could be prior to taking it to the Honda dealer for repair. It only has 16,000 miles on it, so they are going to argue that there is nothing wrong with it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that about covers it, thank you!

3/15/2018
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

Pretty much the only damage you can do by hauling too heavy of a load is to blow out the shocks. The best way to tell if that happened is to look for fluid on the shocks. Does it feel like just the rear was affected or the front as well?

If it's just the rear, take a peek under the rear of the car and see if the shocks look like they have any signs of fluid on them at all.

Thank you. That doesn't sound too bad. Now if I can just convince the Honda service department that something is actually wrong. LOL Thank you very much!! I really appreciate your help!

I can't remember what the warranty is on suspension with honda, but I think it's 3 year 36k miles. I would try to convince them that it needs new shocks under warranty- don't mention the overloading though.

Hmmmmm. I agree it is still under warranty. I'll give it a try.

Let me know if you would like help identifying a fluid leak on the shocks. You can attach photos here if that helps.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician