Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Honda civic hybrid 2008 MY09. Not fixing - not broken. Just…

Hi, I’m Terry Mechanic's...

Hi, I’m Terry

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Terry?

Honda civic hybrid 2008 MY09

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, not fixing - not broken. Just trying to work out whether it’s got a timing chain, or a belt (which would need replacement)

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?

32000 miles, drives well

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just whether belt or chain

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

This vehicle has a timing "chain". There is no service interval at which the chain needs to be replaced as part of any maintenance schedule. The chain was designed to last the life of the vehicle without the need for any sort of maintenance. The chain is to be replaced on a "need-to" basis, which on these engines is few and far between! Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Ron. I’m looking at buying a civic hybrid - does your answer hold true for any civic hybrid post 2007?

The 2007 Civic Hybrid also has a timing chain.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks very much Ron

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Have a great day!

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -