Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Can a bad Left Door Cylinder Switch (72182SHJA01) cause my…

Can a bad Left Door...
Can a bad Left Door Cylinder Switch (72182SHJA01) cause my 2008 Honda Odyssey to go into panic alarm mode? Just changed the door lock and the alarm keeps going off wondering is the Cylinder switch needs to be changed too.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Service Technician

Yes.......if the Door Switch is bad or in the Lock position, the Alarm will trigger when Doors are Locked & Key is out of the ignition
The Door Key Switch Arms & DisArms the Factory Alarm with Lock (Arm) & Unlock (DisArm)

.

If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works,
You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping..
I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses..
Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issue is resolved..

Hi Don,
Thanks for getting back to me. When I put the key in the ignition the alarm still doesn't stop. Is that because the car thinks it's being stolen? I'm thought once you got the factory key into the ignition that would stop the alarm but nope. I'm going to attempt to change the Door key switch. The key that came with my new Door lock cylinder is looks just like my factory key but only works with the door. Is there any programming or chipping needed with new keys. My factory key doesn't have the fob built in.

Here is what Honda Manual shows:

Security
The security system is incorporated within the power door locks. When the vehicle is locked with the door key, door lock switch, or the remote transmitter, the security system is activated. The system will completely set 15 seconds after the hood, doors, and tailgate are closed.

The security system monitors the following signals:

• Battery voltage
  • Door lock knob switches
  • Door switches
  • Ignition key switch
  • Audio unit connection
  • Security hood switch (EX, EX-L, Touring)
  • Tailgate lock knob switch (EX, EX-L)

When any of the monitored Systems is disturbed, the alarm is triggered. Along with the inability to start the vehicle, the taillight relay and the horn relay are activated. All exterior parking lights will flash and the horns will sound.

.

System Description

Door Locks (switch operation)
The driver's door lock switch is part of the door multiplex control unit. The door multiplex control unit is located within the power window master switch. All lock and unlock commands from this switch are communicated across the multiplex communication line to the MICU located in the driver's under-dash fuse/relay box.

The following lock or unlock control signals are also communicated to the MICU:

• Front passenger's door lock switch
  • Door lock knob switches
  • Driver's door key cylinder switch

According to the switch request, the MICU directly operates the power supply and the grounding signals to the reversible electric door lock motors for lock and unlock modes.

Inserting the key into the driver's door key cylinder switch and turning the key one time will unlock the driver's door. Turning the key a second time will unlock all the doors. This is a multiplex controlled response.

Locking the doors from the driver's door switch will lock all the doors.

.

I believe since the Switch is bad, the Switch is still ON, which would over ride the Ignition Switch being on to silence the Alarm

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Service Technician
Boom! And there it is! Don, thank you so much for your help. Really, really appreciate it!

THANK YOU
Thanks for using J/A