Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2006 Honda element yesterday I was driving reached…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 2006 Honda element yesterday I was driving reached about 40 mph the car all of a sudden felt like it was going to stall out but then was fine however the check engine light came on so we took it yo autozone and it threw a code for a sensor for the transmission.. We changed it now today the same thing happens as I excelerate the car all a sudden seems like its gonna stall out but then it will be fine today it threw a code for a knock sensor.. Any idea what it may be..

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Element yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes..

I dont think this has anything to do with it because it did start before he starter was changed but we did have to change the starter last night
3/15/2018
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good evening,

Do you know the exact code that set? When the the problem happens does the check engine light flash?

No it doesn't flash and I'm not sure what the actual code is I am going to see of I can find out

These cars tend to have occasional transmission issues, but you would need to know the code to pinpoint whether it's the transmission or not.

How many miles do you have on the vehicle?

81000 I just got it from someone but they kept the maintenance up on it it was an older lady she didn't drive it for a while but her son was driving not to long ago for a few months..

It doesn't show the code. I'm thinking this may be an electrical connector issue, especially since the vehicle seems like it's trying to stall also.

how much testing/diagnosis do you want to do yourself?

As much as I can/ boyfriend can do

Was the battery light on when the car almost stalled?

No its the check engine light .. And no the battery light isn't on it kinda like jumps/ wants to stall I'm not sure how to explain it exactly

This engine has a common connector for the knock sensor and the alternator. So if the connector is the issue then the knock sensor could trigger a false code when in reality the issue is just the connector.

I think the best bet is to have it scanned again and get the trouble codes. Also, when it feels like it's going to stall watch for the alternator light to flicker.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician