Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

How do I reset my 2008 Honda Odyssey alarm/panic alarm after…

How do I reset...

How do I reset my 2008 Honda Odyssey alarm/panic alarm after replacing my Left Driver Side Door Lock Cylinder. My door now has a different key from the ignition.
I've removed the fuse to stop the alarm from going off. But now when I start the vehicle the alarm goes go off for about 2mins then stops. When I turn the van off the alarm sounds until I turn the car completely off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

Yes I don't have a fob.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've replaced my Left Driver Side Door Lock Cylinder. My door now has a different key from the ignition.
I've removed the fuse to stop the alarm from going off. Now that i've returned the fuse to it's proper place the alarm goes off and doesn't stop when I open the door with the key

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If you can refer to my earlier explanation that would be great.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

Did you replace only the lock cylinder, or the lock switch as well? Basically, the vehicle thinks you are breaking in, so there is a problem with the driver's door key cylinder switch, I suspect. Did someone break in, and this is why you replaced the lock cylinder?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, no one broke in. Wife complained of the lock being hard to turn. Then the next day didn't turn at all. Tow truck opened the car for us
triggering the alarm. We then took the fuse out to stop the alarm and Opened the door panel up and found that the cylinder was busted. The pegs popped out of the lock.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hence replacing the lock cylinder

OK - well, it appears there is a problem with the driver's door key cylinder switch, as that switch is an input to disarm the alarm. It is possible it was damaged when the tow truck driver got in, if the driver was fishing around inside the door with a Slim Jim (break in tool)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi there,
Thanks! The driver actually went through the passenger side with a inflatable wedge type of tool then stuck a rode in the door
latching on to the lock (like you would do manually with you thumb and index finger) and pull it up, unlocking the door.

OK -so this is good - it rules out damage from the unlock procedure, but I'm still suspicious of issues with the cylinder switch. If everything is good until you open the driver's door, the alarm isn't being disarmed by the key when you turn the lock, and this must happen for the alarm to disarm

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi thanks,
The Cylinder switch is the little white piece that connects to the back of the cylinder it going into the arm rest components for the power locks right? Could that have been the reason for the key not turning in the first place? Is that typical or is it the cylinder that usually goes bad. I haven't gone through the series of reconnecting the fuse and then trying to reset. Is there something I can do to try a reset? Disconnect battery etc. Also does 2008 Odyssey's have a Valet switch if so were is it?

Switch should have a couple of wires going to it...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks! What about the other possible solutions for a reset and the Valet Switch?

Reset and Valet would be nice, but a no go - I'm looking at other solutions

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thanks!

Do you have an email, and I'll send you this diagram...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thx!***@******.***

I would be surprised if the driver's door key cylinder switch is not available as a replaceable piece. There isn't a good way to disarm this system that I can see...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks! I should be able to order it. Thanks for the diagram, it look like alien technology but I'll get it. Thanks again! Have a good day!

OK! yeah I think the switch would do it. There is always a possibility of broken wires too, but inside the door panel.

Regards, Canuck

If you have been happy with my service, please close up the question, and rate my answer. Regards, Canuck.

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician