Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I too had issues that presented themselves as main relay…

Hello, I too had...

Hello, I too had issues that presented themselves as main relay issues. Replaced the main relay which restored power to the fuel pump, now I’m not getting spark. We recently replaced cap, rotor, coil and it’s still not sending spark to the plugs. There is power through the distributor ECM and to the coil. Connections are clean and tight. It’s on a 94 civic with a 1.5, manual trans

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

I’m not sure of the mileage. It had been starting and running normally

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

94 civic sedan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I replaced the main relay. It then got power to the pump but no spark. Replaced cap, rotor and coil

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That seems to be it

3/13/2018
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

It is my goal to give you 5 star service, so please give me a 5 star rating before leaving the site today.

This is usually caused by a faulty ignitor, here are a few test you can do to isolate the problem.

Test the coil and igniter in the distributor by removing the distributor cap and rotor. The Black/Yellow (BLK/YEL) wire should have battery voltage, key on engine off. Also, the coil negative wire should have battery voltage.

The Yellow/Green (YEL/GRN) wire should have 9 to 12 volts produced by the igniter.

When the YEL/GRN wire has the correct voltage, all the Engine Control Module (ECM) does is pulse the voltage to ground so spark will occur. This signal can be checked on a scope or a dwell meter. The signal should be a square wave signal on a scope or 10 to 14 degrees of dwell on a dwell meter on a 4-cylinder scale.

If the signal is correct, look for a trigger signal on coil negative. If there is a signal on coil negative, replace the ignition coil. If there is no signal on coil negative, replace the coil and igniter.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I rate this mechanic at 5 stars. The advice was spot on as it was the ignitor that needed replaced

I am glad the problem was solved, I don't get paid for my time unless you accept my answer, so please take time today and accept my answer.

Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Jim
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician