Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I put a new alternator in my 1999 Honda Accord EX 3.0L and…

Customer Question
Hi, I put a...

Hi, I put a new alternator in my 1999 Honda Accord EX 3.0L and the battery, parking brake and door and brake lamp indictors come on for a few seconds or flash and go off when turning on a turn signal or pressing on the brakes and the brake lights coming on. I had an alternator tester in the cigarette lighter that measures the voltage of the alternator and when the indicator lights come on in the dash the alternator gauge drops from green to red showing a drop in voltage in the system

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes I checked the fuses the dashboard bulbs haven't been working in years and long before the alternator went bad

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I fixing it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I replaced the alternator and had a spark from the alternator charge wire when replacing the alternator that went to the engine block. And now the transmission slips and won't change shift from gear to gear consistently

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
The alternator bearing was making noise therefore the alternator need to be replaced. I disconnected the negative battery cable from the battery before removing the alternator. Next I removed the belt from the alternator. I went to disconnect the alternator charge wire and the bolt the nut is on turned when I was trying to remove the nut. Not realizing the bolt was turning with the nut I broke the terminal ring off the alternator charge wire. I continued to remove the alternator and disconnected the plastic electrical connector that snaps into the alternator.I removed the alternator and installed the new alternator without connecting the electrical charge wire and the plastic connector. At this point I stopped installing the new alternator because I had to get a new terminal ring to put on the electrical charge wire so I could connect this wire to the new alternator. I reconnected the negative battery cable to the battery because I needed to move the car by rolling it. After reconnecting the battery cable I turned the ignition without starting the car so I could put the car in neutral and rolled it backwards about ten feet.After moving the car I left the negative battery cable connected to the battery. A day later I went to put a new terminal ring on the alternator charge wire and forgot to disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. While putting on a new terminal ring the wire sparked onto the top of the engine. After the spark I realized that I forgot to disconnect the negative battery cable so I disconnected the negative battery cable before moving forward. I finished installing the new alternator.I started the car and tried to put the car in reverse but I couldn't move the shifter out of park so I turned the car off and turned the ignition so all the indicator lights lit up but did not start the car. I then turned the ignition back so all the indicator lights went off after doing that I started the car and was able to get the car out of park into reverse.The car was idling high around 1750 - 2250 RPMS. I let the car idle for about 30 to 40 minutes. After letting the car idle I went for test drive with the car still idling high and the battery, parking brake and the door and brake lamp indicators would flash or flicker for a few seconds then go off. The indicators would flash after putting on a turn signal or when the brake lights went on after pressing on the brake. After seeing the indicator lights come on I put an alternator tester in the cigarette lighter and the tester would randomly go from the green zone (normal) to the red zone (low) . When the indicator lights went off after a few seconds the alternator tester would randomly go from the red zone (low) to the green zone (normal). I also checked all the fuses to see if any were blow from the spark but all the fuses were good.When I saw the fluctuation in the alternator tester going up and down I thought that the new alternator was bad or had a bad regulator so I decided to take out the new alternator and put the old alternator back in to see if the indicator lights would come on and if the old alternator would fluctuate up and down. I test drove the car after putting the old alternator back in and the indicator lights never came on but the alternator tester would randomly go up down. After driving for about 20 minutes the transmission started slipping and the car would not shift out of first gear and if I hit the gas the engine would rev but the car did not move. I would have to slow down or come to a complete stop until the transmission would go back into gear. I would then try to accelerate again and the transmission would continue to wander in and out of gear.I then decided to return the new alternator and get a new second alternator and put that into the car to see if that would correct the problem. I put a new second alternator in the car and installed a new alternator belt and the indicator lights still came on when putting a turn signal on or making the brake lights go on by pressing the brakes and still had the same transmission issues. With both new alternators when I drove the car with the headlights on the indicator lights didn't come on but the alternator tester still randomly fluctuates up and down from green (good) to red (bad) and vice versa.Looking forward to hearing from you on how to resolve this issue.
3/13/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 4 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

if you are not charging correctly then that is the issue with transmission, you touching these wires burned out a module , now the question which one

you said all fuses checked ?

do you have capable scanner ,if u hook up to dlc connector data port on your car, can establish communication ?

click on link to view pdf file for the charging circuit in this vehicle , notice how The PCM module is the alternator control looking at schematics , can you see that ?

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions

Please Let Me Know if you can view the wiring circuit & we go from there , you could have burned that pcm , but we need to check , i will help you with it best i can

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Hi Chad, thanks for getting back to me.Yes, I checked all the fuses with a multi meter and all the fuses had continuity, but I did not check the relays. Please let me know if I should check the relays as well?I checked the fuses after putting in the first new alternator and before I started having the transmission issues. I started having the transmission issues after putting the old alternator back in and still have the transmission issues with the second new alternator. I will check all the fuses again to make sure they are still all good.What do you mean by a capable scanner? Is the dlc data port the connection used to check what the codes are when the check engine light comes on?I have an Actron AutoScanner Plus CP9680 that I use to check what the codes are when the check engine light comes on. I have the OBDII/EOBD, TCM ( Transmission) and the ECM (Engine) codes that are coming up with the problems I am having with the alternator and transmission. If this is what you mean by capable scanner then I do have one, but if this not what you mean please explain what you mean by a capable scanner?Yes, I can see that the PCM is the alternator control by looking at the schematics.I plan on fixing the car myself so I would need step by step instructions.Thanks,

yes correct on the data port but The action will not read all faults in this vehicle , fault needed here .you need Honda specific scanner ,they run in the $1500 and up range

these are the one you have specs ,and does not list TCM faults only ABS and SRS , and most likely few engine faults

Price:$183.54 & FREE Shipping.Details

In Stock.

Want it tomorrow, March 14? Order within 26 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

• Easy to read color LCD screen and Trilingual menu
  • ABS and SRS Airbag coverage for most 1996-2013 GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Hyundai vehicles
  • Compatible with all 1996 and newer import and domestic OBD II and CAN vehicles as well as 1994 and 1995 OBD II compliant vehicles
  • Record, playback and graph live engine data
  • Capable of printing data to PC

Sometimes when you Do not Disconnect battery before replacing alternator will cause a surge and could have burned ECM or car computer, click on link to view RR instructions ,but make sure u go over the fuses again, all relay ,unplug pcm ,check connector for any burned marks, you need to run a continuity test on the alternator wires back to computer, if all that checks put replace computer

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

I am getting the following codes from my Actron CP9680 Autoscanner. These are the codes that are currently on the car.TCM - Transmission
P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (2-Posi) 5-2
P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio 41-1ECM - Engine
P0700 Transmission Control System Current 70-2OBDII / EOBD
P0730 Gear Ratio Incorrect ConfirmedI have also gotten TCM - Transmission code P0706 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Range / Performance (No-Posi) 6-2, but I dont have this code now.I also had ECM - Engine code P1399 Misfire detected Current 1-0, but don't have this code now.I also had OBDII / EOD code P1399 Misfire detected Pending, but don't have this code now.Do these codes help in determining what might be causing the problem?Should both the positive and negative cables be disconnected from the battery before replacing and alternator or is disconnecting the negative cable enough?Is the ECM/PCM one unit or two seaparate units?Where is the ECM/PCM located in the car?Where is ELD unit located and is that a separate module and can that be causing the problem?If I don't have the Honda Specialized tools can we still replace the ECM/PCM without them?If I don't have the Honda Specialized Tools needed to download the data from the old ECM/PCM to the new ECM/PCM can the ECM/PCM be replaced without downloading the data to the new ECM/PCM?In the instructions you sent for the ECM/PCM Replacement it states to do the battery removal procedure and to do the battery installation procedure. Is there a battery in the ECM/PCM that needs to be removed from the old ECM/PCM and installed in the new ECM/PCM?

1- THE NEGATIVE CABLE DISCONNECTED SHOULD BE ENOUGH

2-YOU WILL NEED A SPECIALIZED SCANNER FOR REPLACEMENT ,UNLESS U SEND YOURS OUT FOR REBUILD THEN U GET BACK PLUG AND PLAY ,NO SCANNER NECESSARY TO PROGRAM, IT WILL PROGRAMMED IF U SUPPLY VIN# ***** MILEAGE

SEARCH ONLINE THEY COMPANIES REBUILD HONDA ECM ETC

3-ELD located under the right side of dash),

DTC P0700

DTC P0730

DTC P1399 IS ACTUAL A p0401 EGR ISSUES,

Honda does not supply a diagnostic flow chart for this code. P1399 is a random misfire code and Honda/Acura has reported for various models that this could be caused by clogged EGR ports. In addition there is the possibility that the valve clearance specification may be out of range.

SN020204, ServiceNews, February 2002, Troubleshooting Multiple Misfire DTCs
NOTE: This article applies to 98–02 Accord L4s, 95–02 Accord V6s, 98–01 Preludes, and 99–02 Odysseys.
When troubleshooting misfire DTCs (P0301 thru P0306) with the PGM Tester, look at the freeze data values for the throttle position (TP) sensor and the exhaust gas recirculation valve lift sensor (EGR VLS).
If the EGR VLS value is more than 1.25 volts, and the TP sensor value is 0.5 volt (closed throttle), the EGR valve opened when it should have been closed, and is defective. Replace the EGR valve.
If the TP sensor value is more than 0.5 volt, and the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) and RPM values indicate that the DTC was set while the vehicle was moving, write down or print out the EGR VLS value. Then, drive the vehicle at the same VSS and RPM as shown in the freeze data, and note the EGR VLS value:

• If the freeze data EGR VLS value is more than 1.25 volts, but the EGR VLS value from the test drive is less than 1.25 volts, the EGR valve was stuck open, and is defective. Replace the EGR valve.
  • If the EGR VLS value from the test drive is similar to the EGR VLS value on the freeze data, the EGR valve is OK and is NOT the cause of your misfire DTC problem. Look for other possible causes.

PROBABLE CAUSES:

• Valve Adjustment
  • EGR Passages
  • EGR Valve
  • Spark Plugs
  • Ignition Coils
  • Fuel Injectors

I DO NOT MIND HELPING YOU BUT YOU ARE ASKING SEVERAL QUESTIONS ABOUT SEVERAL ISSUES IN THE CAR,NOW THIS WEBSITE IS ONE QUESTION AND SOLVE ONE ISSUE, YOU ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE ,ALL THESE ISSUES CAN NOT BE JUST YOU REPLACED THE ALTERNATOR AND THIS HAPPENED

I TOLD YOU ALL I KNOW ON IT , ,IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED LET ME KNOW AND I WILL OPT OUT OF YOUR QUESTION AND OPEN IT FOR OTHER EXPERT TO ASSIST YOU ON IT FURTHER

THANK YOU LET ME KNOW

Thanks for your response. I appreciate all your help. I wasn't trying to ask you about several issues. These are the codes I got after replacing the alternator so I thought it was all part of the same issue. I thought maybe the spark burnt something out and that could have caused these codes to come up.I sent you the codes because all the codes appeared to be transmission related by their descriptions except for the misfire code. I wasn't charging properly and that was causing the transmission issues as you stated in your first response so I thought giving you the codes would help to confirm the ECM/PCM was the issue. I was just trying to provide more information. I wasn't expecting you to provide a solution to every code.If the ECM/PCM needs to be replaced can I purchase a plug and play ECM/PCM from an auto parts store?I don't want you to opt out, but if you feel you provided all the help you can and you want to opt out I understand?

no worries u welcome

Ok
If the ECM/PCM needs to be replaced can I purchase a plug and play ECM/PCM from an auto parts store?
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 4 months ago
eric remington

no not plug and play for this year but I can show you how to have it programmed

Hi Eric, thanks for getting back to me. I can purchase a new ECM/PCM from a an auto parts store and you can show how to program it?
Are you able to see my entire conversation that I had with Chad Farhat and all the information that I sent him regarding the issue I'm having with the car?
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 4 months ago

unfortunately you cant purchase new ones as they are no longer available. I would either get a used one or have the one you have fixed.

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 4 months ago

It sounds as if you may have more than one issue. the ti me it will take to research this and to expedite matters I require a phone call. typing back and ofrth when you have scneraio like this can be time consuming so that is why Irequire a phone call in instances like this

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 4 months ago

it really does help that way we can communicate more effectively

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 4 months ago

up to you