Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

The other day my 2003 Honda CRV would not stay at idle. I…

Customer Question
The other day my...

The other day my 2003 Honda CRV would not stay at idle. I had to drive with two feet. One on the gas to keep the engine at 1.000 RPMs while I used the brake to slow down. Two days ago, if I let up on the accelerator the engine would go to zero and stall. Once it warmed up the problem stopped and I have not any problems since. Been running fine the last two days. (I did just recently replace the battery.)

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Not that I have noticed. It starts fine but does falter on occasion. It does not start as snappy as it used to.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing because the problem went away. But yes, I normally fix it myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I can't think of anything

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Honda
3/13/2018
Mechanic for Honda: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 month ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

ok, here is what I would like you to do. remove the idle air control valve and using brake parts cleaner and a small brush and rag, clean it out from all of the black carbon deposits. Also, clean both sides of the throttle plate for the throttle body. then while the engine is running remove the oil filler cap and check to see if you feel suction. if you do then replace the pcv valve. I also recommend replacing the spark plugs.

hows it going?

HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician