Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Ridiculously high idle. 200,000 2.4 liter ivtech. 2004 Honda…

Ridiculously high idle Mechanic's...

Ridiculously high idle

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

200,000 2.4 liter ivtech

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2004 Honda Element

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Element yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the TPS and the IACV with no change with the idle

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

3/13/2018
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

Any codes? Any vacum leaks?

eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It keeps mentioning the idle air control and it also mentions the throttle position sensor. I replaced both of them and didn't do anything. i double checked all the voltage on both plug ins with power wire and the signal wire
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to lean towards the ECU?? Mostly because of the inaccuracy of the codes

Do you have code numbers. Are they voltage codes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Give me 5 minutes

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It mentions - the idle air control by itself and mentions something about the circuit voltage is low but then mentions the air temp sensor is reading high voltage but only sometimes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's stays at a constant 3500 RPM Idle No matter what I do
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As I had mentioned before that I recalibrated the throttle position sensor at 5 volts at idle and 4.5 volts at Full Throttle
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the idle air control valve I had tested the voltage on that and with the power I was getting a 12.8 volts which was what my battery was at and the signal wire I was getting like 6 volts and I confirmed a good ground
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey John are you still in the vicinity???

Yes. So what are the codes .can you tell me the"P" code numbers?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P0122

That's the only ?code

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P0511

The 122 is a voltage code . Either a short or break in the harrness or a ecu failure

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P0507 intermittent
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's what I was already thinking... How am I to know where to go from here
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How can I verify the problem
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been extremely ill for the past 6 months and things have been extremely not well. It wasn't easy to scrape up the money to contact you and was praying for clarification

Do you have a scan tool that will measure throttle angle and voltage?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do

And does throttle angle go up and down correctly with the pedal when monitored

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it does
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The tps readings are smooth from idle to full throttle

Any moisture or corrosion in the plug end

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nope clean .....If your at a loss I understand and can ask another tech if you rather??

I honestly would try a used throttle body first...ecm failure is rare on a Honda...was this a aftermarket tps?

Is the throttle body clean?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's OEM
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
cleaned when replaced the IACV
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A new throttle body was installed about a year ago

For the same concern? From Honda or a reman?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Honda
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess the demand for a phone call was not needed. For today anyway is the charge for a call something you or customer care takes care of?
eauto
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy