Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2008 has a whining noise that changes at different speeds.

Customer Question
2008 has a whining...

2008 has a whining noise that changes at different speeds. Read an article that this may be the differential.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Honda?

odyssey

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not had it diagnosed yet. Wondering about costs if it is the differential and I need to get it fixed. Would have the dealer fix it if not too much.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
3/12/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

Does it sound like the noise is a grumbling from down low or more of a wind noise?

Diagnosing noises without being there can be tough, so please bear with me.

More of a whining noise that changes pitch when speeding up or slowing down---higher pitch at higher speeds.

Does it vary if you let on or off the gas pedal?

Since that varies the speed, yes.
Any other questions?

I mean more like does it change the second you press the gas or let off. Sometimes a wheel bearing noise will come and go based on coasting vs accelerating slightly.

The most common cause of a road noise on these vans is worn wheel bearings. I would probably describe that as more of a grumbling whine.

I'm wondering if maybe what you are hearing is a wind noise since it is a higher pitched whine.

The whining is more centrally located, almost in front of the dash.
We can be going very slowly when the noise occurs. May be more pronounced during longer trips.

That's really hard to say. I've seen torn motor mounts make a humming noise when they are really badly worn- that will sound like it's coming from the engine area and is usually worse when moving, but changes based on throttle pressure.

If you are driving and it's making the noise, if you put it in neutral and coast does the noise go away?

haven't tried that.
would that diagnose whether a differential or not?

Give that a shot, but be cautious while shifting to neutral while driving. You don't want to accidentally go into reverse.

if the noise goes away, there's a good chance it is the differential? If I need a new one, could you give me a ballpark cost, realizing it would vary from dealer to dealer?
Would a dealer be able to test the differential to see if it is bad?

If the noise goes away it's a good chance the transmission is the problem. On this vehicle it's called a transaxle (a differential and transmission in one part).

Noisy transaxles are not very common on these vans. I've never seen one before.

I want to give my vehicle to my son but do not want him to have to pay some hug repair bills. Would it be easy for my dealer to diagnose whatever the issue is?

It should be. It's much harder for me to give an exact diagnosis since I can't hear it myself. It's most likely either a transxale issue (not common) or a bad wheel bearing (more common if over 130k miles). Transaxle could be really expensive, the wheel bearings are only sort of expensive- about $400 or so to replace.

Did you need any additional info?

On utube, the 2008 whining alternator matches the noise I am hearing.

That wouldn't normally increase with vehicle speed, but a failing alternator can make a humming/whining noise.

If you rev the engine while idling in park does the noise increase?

Also, when an alternator gets noisy it usually stops charging correctly. Has the battery been dying recently?

Do the lights seem dim while driving at night?

Will have to do more testing. Have made an appt with service dept at the dealer.

An independent shop should be able to handle it as well if there are any good ones in your area. Most dealerships charge 2-3 times more than they should for work like this.

When I rev the engine while idling in park the noise increases to a higher pitch. The lights do not dim and we have had this issue for a while.

It could be that the bearing in the alternator is failing, but not the charging function (the brushes) in the alternator.

The alternator is about $200 in parts and about $150 in labor on this car.

Please let me know if you need additional info.