Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I think I have a bad solenoid. 2009 Accord. I start the car…

Customer Question
I think I have...

I think I have a bad solenoid. 2009 Accord. I start the car but I just hear the starter motor spining Trying to locate where the solenoid is so I can try shorting it to see if that does anything. Trying to pin down the issue. Batter is not the issue *Battery

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

No, no single click. A single continuous whir

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

At this point I'm trying to diagnose. If it's the starter, that's probably beyond what I can do myself Could be that the starter has to be replaced anyway. I'm just trying to figure out what's up

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
3/11/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Thank you for taking time to seek expert Honda advice. I am reviewing your question and gathering information. Please standby.

Hello is your Accord a 4 or 6 cylinder?

Thank you, ***** ***** Cliff

2.4L L4 4 cyl.
4 cyl.
4 cyl

Thank you, this video does a good job showing just how hard it is to get to the starter. I have seen a lot of bad starters in this generation of Accord 4cyl. Many act just as yours is. It does have a solenoid connector but it's way up under the intake manifold. Too hard to get to let alone see.

The usual symptoms when this starter fails is no noise at all, a whiring noise with no engagement, slow turning or slow then normal. I probably help 2-3 customers here online with this problem.

Please reply if you need more help so we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the page before exiting the site. Rating does not close out your question or cost extra. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, I will try to give you the best answer possible.

Thank you!
~Honda-Man Factory trained and ASE certified Honda-BMW tech 30+ years experience.

My question was to find out where the solenoid is. I knew where the starter was. I was asked to provide a $5 deposit. As soon as I agreed, I was charged both the $5 and $23. I would ask that you refund the $23 as I did not agree to that charge and the answers you have provided I already knew... and the solenoid question was not worth $23. That's all I was seeking.
You are obviously knowledgeable, but the way this service is positioned is a bit disreputable. This in turn reflects on you unfortunately. Please issue a refund for the $23 which I did not agree to for which was not worth it for the information given. Satisfaction is guaranteed... but I am not satisfied. The other option is that I provide a detailed negative review. And at the end of the day, we can avoid that... since my alternative is to dispute the charge with my credit card company and I'll avoid the $23 charge anyway... and then the negative review.