Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have an Acura TL 05 that refuses to turn on. And I have…

Customer Question
I have an Acura...

I have an Acura TL 05 that refuses to turn on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. And I have changed the starter, I’ve changed fuses and started relays. I’ve changed ignition switch, nothing seems to work. The only thing that has worked was spraying WD40 in the key switch. I used to have to turn the key multiple times for the vehicle to start but now it will not.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

It seems somewhat worn down. And yes I can turn the steering wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The start relay buzzes every time I try to start it. I’ve tried jumping the car off, tighten and clean off battery cables and terminals, the green key on the dash flashes then turns off.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Honda
3/10/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Did you change the electrical portion of the ignition switch or did you change the mechanical side, which is called the ignition lock cylinder?If you only changed the electrical portion of the ignition switch, I would suspect that possibly either the mechanical portion is faulty, or isn't seated in the switch properly.When the mechanical portion of the ignition lock cylinder becomes worn it creates slop in the setup that causes the key to not turn the electrical portion of the ignition switch properly.To test this theory remove the electrical portion of the ignition switch, then insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder so that the immobiliser pickup ring can read the key and attempt to start the vehicle by turning the electrical portion with a screwdriver. If the vehicle then starts up no problem you know that there's slop in the mechanical portion and you need to order a new ignition lock cylinder from the dealer. Do not attempt to get a used one because you can't reprogram the keys so you need to just get one that fits your original key so you don't have to deal with the immobiliser.If I've answered your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept because that is the only way the site will compensate me for my time if you need any further information you can ask follow-up questions here even after hitting accept.
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician