Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

L have an 03 civic with 110,000 miles, it has a manual

Hi, l have an...

Hi, l have an 03 civic with 110,000 miles, it has a manual transmission. I’m getting a loud gear noise in first gear when gently slowing, and slight noise in second, also gently slowing. Otherwise the transmission and clutch are perfect. I just bought the car. I very much appreciate your thoughts, thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Evidently The clutch was replaced a short while ago. Seems to be fine, perfect free play, engages well, clutch brake is fine, does not slip. With the transmission in neutral, BUT, some noise when I depress the clutch, that’s all

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, have a very good friend with a shop, can’t can’t tell if it’s input bearings, planning on changing the oil, adding moly- slip

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope thanks

3/10/2018
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Thank you for taking time to seek expert Honda advice. I am reviewing your question and gathering information. Please standby.

The noise you describe sounds like classic input bearing noise. My neighbor drives by every day in her 01 Civic with the same noise. Louder on decell and will get quieter when the clutch pedal is depressed. Like a gravely noise. It's surprising how loud it is when you see the bearing. Usually they don't look that bad. Of course some are horrible. In the shop I have replaced at least a dozen over my 30 plus years. All years and model JHonda's do it. The moly-slip might quiet it down but won't fix anything.

Please navigate to the rating page and provide a rating. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please tell me why so I can continue to help. The rating has nothing to do with when or how you get charged. Rating is how JustAnswer knows when to credit me. I will keep the question open after you provide a rating today.
Thank you,
~Honda-Man Factory trained and ASE certified Honda-BMW tech 30+ years experience.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Very good response time and answer thank you

Thank you,

Cliff aka Honda-Man

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Very god answer and response time thank you

Thanks

Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Honda-Man
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic