Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Headlights don't work, high beams do. 2003 crv. The things i…

Customer Question
Headlights don't work, high...

Headlights don't work, high beams do

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2003 crv

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, the things i mentioned. i think it might be a relay

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
when the key is turned to the first stop the headlights do work. when the engine is running they do not.
3/10/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let m e review your request. Please stand by,

they work. i tested each one the the lights were on and they worked.
i have a revision to what i told you. when i said they work when the key is at the first stop and they work i was incorrect. that was the high beams. the headlights do not work. but when the high beams are on and i test relays 5 and 6, they did work.
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Sorry about the wait. Just checked the wiring schematics. The problem is probably in the switch citcuit. There was also a recall from honda for the same condition. I'm not sure if the recall is still valid on you r model. You will need to call honda with your vehicle's vin# ***** miles to confirm.

Test.

1.At the combination switch, ground the Red/White wire to see if the low beams come on. If so, the combination switch is faulty. Verify the connector at the combination switch did not get hot and there is not a burnt or melted connector at the switch.

2. If grounding the wire at the combination switch does not operate the lights, go to the connectors at the dash fuse box and repeat the test

Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

I have also attached the recall by Honda for refernce

how do i access the wires at the combination switch?
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Disregard the last attachment. This is the recall attachment.

that recall is from chrysler
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

To access the combination switch wiring the steering column cover will need to be removed. I will recommend to check if recall is still open on your vehicle. If it is the repair will be done by honda no charge.

Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Additional details on the recall and repair procedure.

that recall has been done on my car
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Ok. Then the regular diagnostic procedure will need to be followed. Remove the steeing column cover and check the wiring.

Test.

Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Hello, just checking if any updates?

i did not have time to remove the covers and check the connections yesterday. when i called the dealer to check the recall i made an appointment to have them look at it. thanks for checking in.
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle. Keep me posted if any other questions and please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.