Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh,
Experience:  Master Tech at Kennesaw Auto Tech
97664209

Headlights don't work, high beams do. 2003 crv. The things i

Customer Question

headlights don't work, high beams do
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2003 crv
JA: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, the things i mentioned. i think it might be a relay
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
when the key is turned to the first stop the headlights do work. when the engine is running they do not.
Expert:  Gunvir Singh replied 8 months ago.

Hello, let m e review your request. Please stand by,

First step is to check relauy #5 and #6

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they work. i tested each one the the lights were on and they worked.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i have a revision to what i told you. when i said they work when the key is at the first stop and they work i was incorrect. that was the high beams. the headlights do not work. but when the high beams are on and i test relays 5 and 6, they did work.

Sorry about the wait. Just checked the wiring schematics. The problem is probably in the switch citcuit. There was also a recall from honda for the same condition. I'm not sure if the recall is still valid on you r model. You will need to call honda with your vehicle's vin# ***** miles to confirm.

Test.

1.At the combination switch, ground the Red/White wire to see if the low beams come on. If so, the combination switch is faulty. Verify the connector at the combination switch did not get hot and there is not a burnt or melted connector at the switch.

2. If grounding the wire at the combination switch does not operate the lights, go to the connectors at the dash fuse box and repeat the test

I have also attached the recall by Honda for refernce

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
how do i access the wires at the combination switch?

Disregard the last attachment. This is the recall attachment.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
that recall is from chrysler

To access the combination switch wiring the steering column cover will need to be removed. I will recommend to check if recall is still open on your vehicle. If it is the repair will be done by honda no charge.

Additional details on the recall and repair procedure.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
that recall has been done on my car

Ok. Then the regular diagnostic procedure will need to be followed. Remove the steeing column cover and check the wiring.

Test.

Hello, just checking if any updates?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i did not have time to remove the covers and check the connections yesterday. when i called the dealer to check the recall i made an appointment to have them look at it. thanks for checking in.

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle. Keep me posted if any other questions and please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.