Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Well it is actually my boyfriends car!! LOL WHat is going on…

Hi! Well it...

Hi! Well it is actually my boyfriends car!! LOL WHat is going on is he has trouble getting the key in the ignition... it will take a few times, but it will eventually go in. Today... he got the key in, but it would not turn at first. He did finally get it to turn and the car started fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

The key seems to be fine... I was going to look into replacing the key first. It is the orginal key.. this is a 2004 accord Yes the steering wheel will turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tired anything yet. Finances are a consideration. I have little mechanical knowledge... If I can fix it myself I will, but woud rather a professional just trying to find out what is wrong first

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that it is a 2004, the battery terminal had come loose and has been tightened back up.

3/9/2018
Edward
Edward, Auto Service Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Thank you!
Did my question make sense? DO I just need a new key or replace the ignition?

One thing you can try is this, get some WD-40, and spray just a little bit directly into the key hole, and spray some on the key, if it's a stuck tumbler sometimes this will free it up. You can also try blowing some compressed air into the hole before that if you have any. If the key is worn, you can make a duplicate key and see if it works better, however it will NOT start the vehicle as these keys or programmed, but if a duplicate key does work better, then likely you will need to get another key, but if a duplicate key does not work any better, and spraying WD-40 into the lock cylinder and on the key doesn't help much, then you will likely need to get another ignition lock cylinder to fix it. Does that answer your question? Thank you.

Edward
Edward, Auto Service Technician
that is perfect! I will try all of that! Thank you!!!!

Absolutely, Thank you very much!