Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2003 pilot and sometimes when I am driving and come…

I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 pilot and sometimes when I am driving and come to a stop the shifter light is still on D but it acts like it is in neutral and will not move until I downshift to 3 then back up to drive.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The drive light showing the car is in drive when manually shifting the car on the column

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes rebuilt the transmission because that is what the dealer said the problem was, but still doing this.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It shifts fine, just once in a while the light on the column is on D and it will not move until I downshift manually

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

There is TRS ,Transmission range sensor that tells the computer what gear you are in , it is a common failure and we change all the time

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW TRS LOCATION AND RR PROCEDURE AND PART # NEEDED

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Chad Farhat
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Chad I changed the transmission range sensor yesterday and the Honda Pilot is still doing the same thing. It acts like it is in neutral on D and D3, but not all the time, then I manually shift down to 2 and once I start moving go back to D then it seems to be fine. This seems to happen more when it is cold and always at a stop.

hey,sorry to hear that

what is the mileage on it know

has fluid been serviced?

after it engages in drive,does it drive good and no slipping

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Mileage 142,000
Yes tranny has fresh Honda fluid put in after rebuild.Yes drives and shifts good no slipping at all.

The trs sensor is the most common but at this time , I would have it scanned using a Honda scanner or equivalent that can read all the modules in it and see if we have any pending or history fault code stored ,

try to do this test ,let see if we have any circuit below that shows a faulty in a module or circuit

https://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat