Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 1998 Honda Passport 4wd. You helped me with the…

I have a 1998 Honda...
I have a 1998 Honda Passport 4wd. You helped me with the steering rack replacement. Now I am getting ready to replace the passenger side cv axle and upper and lower ball joints. can you walk me through the process? thank you.
3/9/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Here are the manufacturer steps. Look them over and let me know if any part is confusing so I can explain it a different way.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9lmrrcy9q5z4oy/passaxle.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78p4bap547gejkg/passball.pdf?dl=0

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Thank you. I am trying to get the top ball joint off. The anti lock sensor line seems to be in the way. How do I get that off?
scratch that last question. I have a different problem. I have the shaft out, but there is one bolt on the plate that can't get to because a part welded to the frame is in the way. It is the top left bolt. any ideas how to get that off?

I am just not seeing where you are stuck. Can you post some pictures?

Can you grind that piece of weld off or use a boxed in wrench instead of a socket?

I discovered there are 2 more bolts on the plate that hold the diff to the frame. I removed those and the diff dropped enough to get that other bolt. Now it feels liose, but still isn't coming out of the diff. Should I beat on it to get it out? Or is it just supposed to slide out?

There is a circlip holding the shaft in. So it will not just slide out, you have to pry on it some to get it to release.

ok. thank you I give it a try

You are welcome

Do you have a detailed diagram of the oil seal and bearing that goes on the inner cv shaft? I broke the little spring seal?

There is not really a diagram of that seal. Here is every picture I have of this area.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1g37v2xp6lonri/axlepass.pdf?dl=0

ok thank you. I'm just trying to make sure I have the seal and bearing facing the correct way

You are welcome

You let the post timeout meaning I can not send a response as an answer. A post has to be rated before the 7th day. If you complete a 5-star rating then reply I can then answer.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
I can't remember where it went
I just have one last question. Everything is good, but the 4wd does not engage. sounds like it is working electronically. the 4wd light has been flashing since i replace the steering rack. Is it likely that I damaged a vacuum line while working on the steering rack. I'm not totally sure how the 4wd engages. thank you

Are there 4wd codes stored?

I'm not sure about that

Will the transfer case shift into low range resulting in a low gear ratio?

no there seems to be no change in hi or lo range

I believe I need to opt out on this one. MY repair guides have little to know info on diagnosing 4x4 issues on this model. BEing you are a member customer it may be best to open a new question about the 4x4 concerns.

ok. Thanks for all your help. That is all I have on this issue

You are welcome