Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Just did a compression check on my 2001 accord. It had

Just did a compression...

Just did a compression check on my 2001 accord. It had sprung a leak on the oil, got low and the v tea variable timing valve got messed up. so now it doesn't start, and the compression was 105 in #4 90 in #3 100 In #2 and 120 in #1 . So I think the engine is gone. What do you think?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

No, I just got this a couple months ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the variable timing vale, filled it with oil and did the compression test. Yes I do everything myself on my cars

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've never done this before, is this a paid service?

3/9/2018
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Thank you for taking time to seek expert Honda advice. I am reviewing your question and gathering information. Please standby.

It looks like you are correct. Compression needs to be at least 130psi. Normal compression is approx 170psi. The 3 lowest cylinders cant compress the air-fuel mixture enough for combustion. The one at 120 might be able to but it's obviously not enough to make it run. I have been working on honda's for over 30 years so I have seen this happen many times. Sorry but the engine is gone.

Please reply if you need more help so we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the page before exiting the site. Rating does not close out your question or cost extra. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, I will try to give you the best answer possible.

Thank you!
~Honda-Man Factory trained and ASE certified Honda-BMW tech 30+ years experience.

if the VVT goes out it's like the same as the timing belt slipping right? Figure the only way to fix it would be to pull the head off, replace the valves, and hope the pistons aren't hurt right? Wasn't aware that if you have the vvt go out it could be so catastrophic.

V-TEC is the variable valve timing. If it was ran low on oil it can ruin the engine. If the timing belt slips or uit gets out of time it can bend valves. There is a slight chance replacing the timing belt will help. If it's out of time the compression will be low since the valves open at the wrong time. Either pull the head to check the valves or replace the timing bell and cross your fingers.

Thanks again, Cliff

Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Thanks Cliff! Have a great night