Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My wife is currently at daycare picking up my children and…

My wife is currently...

My wife is currently at daycare picking up my children and she says that our 2016 honda oddyssey wont start has keyless entry says the lights and everything else appears to work but it wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

How would she access it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. she drove to day care. shut the car off. went in. picked up children. got back into car. now will not start pushes start button, does nothing lights and locks work starting it does not

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I guess not. i mean, it has 24k miles on it bought it brand new

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
To add additional information:* The car is 'powered' on. Basically, similar to a car with a key entry, turned to the on position (but not started)
* The steering wheel is locked in its position. I can't turn it
* All interior indicator lights are on
3/9/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

is it recognizing the key , does she see the green key symbol ?

do you have one or 2 keys for it and has key fob battery been checked ?

Hey. So the car is currently sitting at daycare about 8 miles away
We were able to use the actual key to lock the doors. We have two fobs, and neither of them are working to start, or lock/unlock the doors
I assume it's because the car is 'on' (not started, but powered on). So im guessing the fob's arent working because of that

we have a loss of key fob rf signal

now both key fobs battery could be dead ,we need to check

check key fob battery and then we can try this simple master reset and see if it works until you can get it scanned with capable scanner and get fault codes

click on link to watch you tube video on key fob battery replacement if needed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdYyil6BU8Y

Master Reset

1-Disconnect Both Battery Cables ,Positive & Negative .
2- Touch Cables With Each Other For 60 Secs ( this will take any residual power in the Harness to Reset the Vehicle Modules )
3- Wait 30 min
4- Close all doors and trunk
5- Reconnect Battery Positive First
6- Use The Key in The Driver Side Door
Lock Cylinder to Lock it & Unlock,IF You have only a Key Fob ,use it to lock and unlock
7- Enter vehicle and Start it .

the battery is likely going to die, as the interior dash lights have been illuminated for 3+ hours now. if the battery is dead for 30 minutes, will that accomplish the same goal as the steps you outline?
meaning. if the battery dies, and is dead for 30 minutes, will that make the car "master reset"

no , WE need a fully charged battery and the cables touching to reset modules ?

if the battery is weak ,LIKE HAS 10 VOLTS OR BELOW WOULD TRIGGER ANTI THEFT ALSO

ok, forget it. we have roadside assistance and i dont have time to wait 30 minutes and hope everything is fixed. thanks anyways

ok, sorry i could not help more ,

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Hey, Just checking to see if you need any additional help on it

Chad Farhat