Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2009 odyssey timing belt broke while driving replaced timing…

Customer Question
2009 odyssey timing belt...

2009 odyssey timing belt broke while driving replaced timing belt aligned crankshaft and camshafts to TDC but engine wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

I just replaced it as the tensioner pulley disintegrated and the car died in the middle of the road replaced tensioner pulley and hydraulic tensioner actuator

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just explained to you that i replaced the timing belt tensioner pulley and hydraulic tensioner confirmed that the crank shaft and camshafts were at top dead center car turns over but doesn't attempt to start

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
3/8/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 4 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

we need correct fuel and spark to start ?

we need to check what we missing ?

when you turn igntion switc to on postion , do u hear fuel pump comes on for few seconds tp prime rail and go off?

do we have power on coils ,are they firing ?

have you checked ckp sensor connector ?

all fuse checked ?

compression and rechecked timing marks ?

Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

have fuel and spark so cfp sensor has to be working. the engine doesn't shudder when you try to start it. you don't here that da- da- da- da-da sound when trying to start. as i said before the actuator tab on the timing belt tensioner pulley broke off and the actual pulley disintegrated along with taking out the hydraulic tensioner this is while driving at 50 mph. i have observed on line that an interference engine will cause bent valves in the engine if the crankshaft moves when the camshafts are not moving give me your thoughts

Sorry I do not know , I will opt out for other expert on this one

Mechanic for Honda: Greg, import technician replied 4 months ago
Greg
Greg, import technician

Hi , My name Greg and i will be assisting you with this issue .

Okay timing belt snapped replaced and no start .

What you will have to do is do a cylinder compression test on all cylinders .

You will most likely find that you have a few cylinder or all with no or low compression .

this engine is a interference engine, meaning when the belt snaps the pistons are going to come into direct contact with the valve and bend them.

You confirm low or no compression you will have to remove the heads and replace the bent valves.

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg