Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2006 Pilotcalifo. 86000 miles, been told I need new cats.

2006 Pilot*****califo Mechanic's Assistant:...

2006 Pilot*****califo

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

86000 miles, been told I need new cats

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just had the codes read by shop, thought I would replace the two front 02 sensors before spending 1600 on new cats

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Are toe sensors all accessible from the top of the engine under the hood

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

Hi there. Do you have the trouble codes?

Have you had a look at the price of the front AF sensors? Those are wideband oxygen sensors...

Chances are good you could get the front one relatively easily, the rear one - not so easy... It is tight at the rear of the engine.

Did the truck fail smog?

Unfortunately my wife was the one who took the car while I was at work and the tech told her that the trouble code and the prestest said it would not pass and engine light on.
Codes were P0420 and P0430
Any chance the sensors being replaced would solve the problem or are they right about the cats

Catalyst codes of death, I'm afraid... I'll explain how the diagnostic works. Are you in California?

so the truck will need to go on a dyno and the exhaust gasses will be measured?

I am guessing so, if you thing that the 02 sensors wont cure the issue then I guess I am stuck repolacing the cats.

The onboard diagnostics run tests on the front and rear oxygen sensors first, to ensure they are working properly before it runs the catalyst diagnostics. So, if the computer is satisfied the sensors are properly functioning, it runs the catalyst diagnostics... which according to the codes, failed.

OK, thank you sir. Good night.

Myself, I wouldn't try the sensors, especially given the cost, and the likelihood of any change is minimal

Get Honda catalysts. They will work. The other point, please ensure there isn't anything that is causing an engine misfire, as this will kill catalysts.

Thank you. Sorry to deliver the bad news.

If you are satisfied with my service, please close up the question, and rate my answer. Thank you. Canuck

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Ok
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician