Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Getting a "check your disc" error on the nav screen.. I

Getting a "check your...

Getting a "check your disc" error on the nav screen.. I replaced the dvd player with a used player, same error. doesn't seem like the disc is actually spinning

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

234000 its a 2005

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Honda?

Accord

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just replaced the dvd reader, disconnected neg battery terminal. Tried to clean the dvd player with a cleaner disc but it doesn't spin...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Answered in 1 day by:
3/8/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Ok, I need to get the last 8 of the vin to pull the schematics so I can walk you thru some testing. You will need a voltmeter for testing.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
The vin number is ***** I have a voltmeter, just lead me in the right direction

HI,

Ok, at the navigation disc player, check the white with red stripe wire,connect C, pin 1, for power with key off and on,

and check the yellow with red stripped wire, connector C, pin 2, for power with key in on position, and check black wire, connector C, pin 4 for good ground

see attached connector pinout for pin locations

OK, I'm 6'3, 270 lbs and 60 years old. That was not fun in the trunk!! But here goes.
Ground ok, continuity check went to 0
Red/white key off...12.25 key on....11.36
Yellow red key off...0000 key on....11.38

HI,

Ok, it has power and ground. Since it does, we should be able to do a diagnostic check.

Turn the ignition switch ON (II). Use the navigation display hard buttons as described below:
A. If the battery has not been disconnected, then press and hold the 3 buttons (Menu, Map/Guide, and Cancel), and keep them pressed for about 5 seconds. The display screen will go directly to the "Select Diagnosis Items" menu shown above.
B. If the battery was disconnected and reconnected prior to this test, hold down the Menu and Zoom Out buttons at the "Code" or "GPS Acquire" screen. The display will go to the "Navi System Link" screen. Push the joystick to go to the "Functional Setup menu," then touch the Return icon to get to the "Select Diagnosis Items" menu.

NOTE: This only allows access to the diagnostic screens. All other navigation functions are disabled.

3. After the display changes to the Select Diagnosis Items menu, select the item you want to check and the diagnostic will start. To return to the previous screen, select "RETURN". Select the bolded below

- Navi System (Link)
- F-CAN (System link)
- B-CAN (System link)
- Monitor Check
- Unit Check
- Car Status
- GPS Information
- Yaw Rate
- Tire Calibrate
- Functional Setup
- Version

Let me know what the diagnostics shows for each, or if it will not go into diagnostic mode

I have disconnected the neg battery terminal to try a reset a few days ago expecting to need to enter the code, however nothing ever did appear on the screen, neither "code" or "GPS Acquire" The code for the radio had to be reentered and it worked. Prior to disconnecting the battery the screen was working as far as radio/ a/c / and other functions. But no nav.

HI,

Unfortunately this points to an internal problem in the unit. It may just need to be reflashed with latest software, or may be something more serious, but without being able to get into diagnostic mode using the above Honda method, it will require a dealer level scan tool at this point to get into the diagnostics.

Do you think its the dvd unit or the screen part?

A bad dvd unit wont prevent it from going into diagnostic mode, so the issue is at the navi display/module unit at the dash. Again, it may only need a reflash, but also may be more serious

My concern with the dvd is that I can't hear it spinning. When I put the disc in, it comes out in the exact same position.

HI,

If the navi display/control module doesnt send a signal to the dvd unit along the CAN BUS data lines, then it will not spin as there is no signal to command it to.

While possible the unit you installed is bad, it doesnt explain the navi unit not going into diagnostics mode or even going to the prelimanary screens of code or GPS Acquire. These point to the navi unit at the dash as the source of problem.

OK, you've been extremely helpful. Thanks!!

you are welcome

Eric,
I replaced the navi unit at the dash and still have the same issue as above. Any ideas????