Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I got in my car, turned on the ignition, the car starts but…

Customer Question
HI I got in...

HI I got in my car, turned on the ignition, the car starts but the engine doesn't rev up, it just dies and when I pump the gas, it feels like I'm pumping air.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes I can turn the steering wheel and the car is less than a year old. The key is not worn

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

Harv 2018

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

The pictures I get are a red battery sign and a green key. Do you know what they mean

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Full tank of gas and radio plays

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
3/6/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
I'm not sure about the Green Key as it pertains to the problem you currently having but that is a sign for the immobilizer system, your car doesn't have some kind of remote start does it?Pop the hood and make sure that your vehicle didn't throw the accessory belt because your alternator is not charging and due to the fact that your alternator is not charging your not getting good voltage to any of the sensors or anything like that and so your vehicle isn't rubbing because the engine computer it realizes that it can't rely on the singles it's getting back from the sensors.Likely you can still turn the steering wheel because your car probably has electromagnetic power steering not old-school hydraulic power steering run off of a pump.My question is why are you working on your own vehicle if the vehicle is only a year old this should be covered by warranty and in fact you should have roadside assistance they will be able to come and get your car with tow truck for free I will call the dealership if I were you, because if you start working on it and you're under warranty and you can't get it fixed and I don't know why you'd want to pay yourself anyways, but if you can't get it fixed then they will likely blame you and your vehicle gets towed and not covered under warranty.much further than that.If I've answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept as that's the only way I am compensated for my time on this site. If you have any further questions or comments don't hesitate to contact me. You will be able to respond to this question even after hitting accept.