Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Excessive drain on fuse 23. I've done many checks and have a…

Excessive drain on fuse...

Excessive drain on fuse 23

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

I've done many checks and have a spreadsheet with results of mA draw. I wanted to ask if my findings determine that the MICU is defective.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2011 Civic LX

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself. Determined the excess draw of 300 mA is draining battery. Fuse 23 is main cause. Got schematics from this site. Unplugged relevant connectors and charted the results.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I would like to upload chart. Maybe I could paste in chat?

mA draw chart uploaded
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Can you please give me an estimate time to respond? The previous estimate was 8 minutes, over an hour ago. Thanks.
Answered in 1 day by:
3/5/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

I am will to try and help on this post if help is still needed.

please. I ordered a used MICU today, but your opinion on possible cause(s) would be helpful.

Did you unplug everything powered by this fuse and noticed the draw dropped? Did the draw return with the MICU plugged back up?

Can you read the chart I uploaded? It shows how each plug affects the current draw. Unplugging "G", the feed to the MICU, the current draw drops to near zero. The other connections have the following mA draw, as per schematic on page 10-5:
E = 6 mA
K = 61 mA
Q = 167 mA (this goes to zero when the tach is unplugged)
P = 66 mA
So, the total draw on these connections is 300 mA, or the total parasitic draw on the battery.
My thinking is that since it is unlikely there are 3 problems, it must be the MICU.

I could not make sense of your upload but I could see my computer had to convert it to an excel spreadsheet. Based on those readings above I would have to agree the MICU is to blame.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Hi, Chris. I received the used MICU last night and installed it. Unfortunately, it did not help. All current readings were identical, including the total parasitic draw of 300 mA. Also, the green key on dash was flashing and the car would not start. I put the original MICU back in. At least the car starts now, but problem still exists.I uploaded the schematic I've been using. I got it from another post on this site. I have no idea what to do next. Any thoughts? Thanks.